YAPCIOALD - Yet Another Pelican Case Install Only A Little Different

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default YAPCIOALD - Yet Another Pelican Case Install Only A Little Different

I liked the Pelican cases folks have been putting on the back - looks very useful and there's been several occasions where I wished I had a little bit of cargo area. However, I didn't like that the current ones had to drill a hole in the case, since it is such a nice case and waterproof and the hole makes it less so. I also wanted something that I could _very_ quickly take off or remove, i.e., even to take off and carry into work, the store, whatever, and easily put back on when I got back to my bike. Also, I wanted to be able to open the case without having to undo anything, and also preferably be able to open the case while sitting on the back - to pull out a camera for a quick photo, for example.

So I bought a couple of cases - a Pelican 1200 like everyone else, and also a Pelican 1400 since I wanted a little more room. I wanted a way I could easilyl attach either case depending on how much stuff I had. I've been racking my brain over this for the past few days, and mulled over a lot of different ideas about it. In addition to everything else I mentioned above, it had to be simple and easy to make too. I didn't want some complex contraption, but it also had to be rock solid and secure. Finally my thoughts shaped into this and I thought I'd share the idea in case others want to do it too.

Basically the idea is to use a slightly modified ratchet strap to hold the case onto the existing rack. Here goes:

Here are the parts - two cases, two 3/8" hardened steel rods, ratchet strap:

Grind out the riveted rod holding the strap onto the ratchet, pop it out with a punch:

Enlarge the two ratchet holes to 3/8":

Test fit:

Now drill the back fins of the case to accept the 3/8" steel rod. Don't drill too close to the edge such that it weakens the backing.

Install the ratchet and rod into the back of the case. The fit is a very tight press fit so it should stay without any end nuts. I had to use a hammer to get it all the way in:

Measure out a piece of the canvas strap such that you can double it over the handle and back under the case and rack, then up through the ratcheting mechanism. I did not use any of the heavy hooks - just the canvas straps. Cinche in down tight. This is the Pelican 1400:

Use a second ratchet and 3/8" rod for the smaller / alternate case, if you have one. This is the Pelican 1200 here:

Switch back to the 1400 in just a few seconds:

Thanks to others such as Bmwhd and Deej for the original inspiration.

Cheers,

Old 05-12-2006, 05:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: YAPCIOALD - Yet Another Pelican Case Install Only A Little Different

[sm=bling.gif][sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 05-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: YAPCIOALD - Yet Another Pelican Case Install Only A Little Different

Have you rode on the trails or any bumps yet? Just curious if it will shift at all, but very cool idea. Way to go man, another new idea.

deej

Old 05-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Have you rode on the trails or any bumps yet? Just curious if it will shift at all, but very cool idea. Way to go man, another new idea.

deej
Not yet. I just did it this evening and afterwards it was too late to go out, except for a spin around the yard and over the concrete curb a few times just to make sure it didn't spontaneously combust or anything. First test will be my commute tomorrow, hopefully followed by some trails tomorrow evening.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Excellent job! I've been thinking about the Pelican cases too but one question. I'm 5'6" 30" inseam and have to lean the bike to one side slightly and throw my leg over the rack to mount, or use the pegs when on the stand. How do you mount the bike with the case on the back, or are you tall enough that it isn't an issue?

Old 05-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

Excellent job! I've been thinking about the Pelican cases too but one question. I'm 5'6" 30" inseam and have to lean the bike to one side slightly and throw my leg over the rack to mount, or use the pegs when on the stand. How do you mount the bike with the case on the back, or are you tall enough that it isn't an issue?
Thanks. Getting on and off is not a problem, at least not that I've noticed. I'm 5'8" - if that matters.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:01 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm 6-1 with a 32 inch inseam, but I found a better way to get on the bike, assuming you have a solid surface for the kickstand, and I will also show you guys a kickstand adapter I carry with me when heading out on the trails. Anyway standing on the opposite side of the kick starter (if we had one LOL) all I do is put my left foot on the foot peg and stand straight up and swing my right leg over and as I sit down the bike automatically straightens up and you're there. Also it looks cool when you're uptown and there are people watching you. Try it and see what you think. Later.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I've tried the peg to mount and while I'm sure the bike is plenty stable on the sidestand it feels a bit sketchy, all I can think about is filling up and then it topples as I get on at the gas station, pinning me under it against the pumps in front of everybody. I had a piece of some real thin steel tie plate (for building trusses or rafters) that was like 1.75x3 and I carry that in the tool pouch. Tried it in some rain soaked grass and it sank maybe a quarter inch at most where I was leaving tracks just walking through.

Looking at your pics again I don't think I would have a problem with not extending my leg to get on. Its the stock tool pouch that catches my toe as I swing my leg over if I don't throw it over the rack. Now to order me a Pelican case.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh sure, I find this thread AFTER I put holes in my Pelican!?!!

Gotta hand it to you - that is a VERY slick idea! [sm=goodidea.gif]

Mike

Old 08-13-2006, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm 5'7" and I had to use the stand to get on the bike when I had the Pelican on

Quick Reply: YAPCIOALD - Yet Another Pelican Case Install Only A Little Different