Yamaha TW 200

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Yamaha TW 200

I think that TW would be perfect for my girlfriend. What year is that one?

Old 08-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

2004, and they got it for 2500, very clean, and 1500 cheaper than a new one.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/187694053.html

Old 08-09-2006, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klxcrazy

Deej, this is off your subject, but for your future info, i say future because you havent had the bike long enough to experience the not starting part of the tw200. if you let this bike set for more than a week or two without starting it, it probably wont start. same with some other Yamahas in the smaller cc. if you have this unpleasant experience, drain some gas from the bottom drain on carb, and it should start. my dad has one that he doesnt ride very often, so every time he wants to ride it, we have to do the drain the gas thing. Yamaha has no solution for this problem. they blame it on bad gas. same gas in honda and kawi starts no problem. good luck, hope this helps.

My XT225 is the same way. You must always make an habit of always turning off the petcock as soon as you roll into the garage so to prevent any extra gas from going into the carb.
You're right. I have no problem whatsoever with the KLX. It's actually the easiest starting carburated bike I have ever owned, hands down. It starts the instant I push the button. I can turn off the choke immediately after I start riding. And the bike is 100% stock!

BTW, deej, that's a real sweet deal your buddy got on the TW!

Old 08-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Looks good deej; guess the whole family will be riding now. Prety cool if you ask me.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

ORIGINAL: klxcrazy

Deej, this is off your subject, but for your future info, i say future because you havent had the bike long enough to experience the not starting part of the tw200. if you let this bike set for more than a week or two without starting it, it probably wont start. same with some other Yamahas in the smaller cc. if you have this unpleasant experience, drain some gas from the bottom drain on carb, and it should start. my dad has one that he doesnt ride very often, so every time he wants to ride it, we have to do the drain the gas thing. Yamaha has no solution for this problem. they blame it on bad gas. same gas in honda and kawi starts no problem. good luck, hope this helps.

My XT225 is the same way. You must always make an habit of always turning off the petcock as soon as you roll into the garage so to prevent any extra gas from going into the carb.
You're right. I have no problem whatsoever with the KLX. It's actually the easiest starting carburated bike I have ever owned, hands down. It starts the instant I push the button. I can turn off the choke immediately after I start riding. And the bike is 100% stock!

BTW, deej, that's a real sweet deal your buddy got on the TW!
When I had a '01 XT225, I noticed the same thing. My dad's '01 TW200 wasn't quite as bad as the XT, though. We always made a habit of popping the side cover off, pulling the air filter out and shooting some starting fluid in it, for the initial start of the day. After that, it was fine for the rest of the day.

My dad still rides his TW200 once in a while, but, after I bought my '03 DR200SE, he liked it so much, he found himself a mint condition (less then 40 miles) '99 DR200SE that was used for a local Motorcycle Foundation Course and now rides that almost exclusively.

We have both been talking about getting the KLX250S, but, neither one of us want to hassle with lowering the darn things. =)

The XT225 had a bit more get up and go and I liked the 6 speed tranny, but, the DR200SE is a little bit lower and has a much better seat. Plus, I don't have any issues with starting it, even if it sits for months at a time.

The TW200 is a fine little bike, as well, though, with that big tire, you have to watch the slippery stuff, like muddy logs and such, it will tend to slide out from you easier, than a more traditional dirt bike tire, due to the lower weight per square inch ratio. Though, that works as an advantage in other terrains, like sand.

Laters,
CRT_Leech