XT 225 mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default XT 225 mods

Well I thought I was going to leave the wife's bike alone, I mean it has plenty of power for her weight, but its just lacking something when I ride it. I can barely get it to do 60 on the highway and so I am going to see what I can do about that. The first mod which has nothing to do with power is the kick starter, which I already picked up on Wednesday on my way to the nut cracker. And as I was looking around on the 225 site I found this.

Name:  XT225biggun.jpg
Views: 4453
Size:  100.2 KB

Maybe a front sprocket change and jetting and the bike will be great. Because I am going to ride it to work to save miles on my bike. I am now at 9800 on the KLX and since I want to keep mine until I'm buried with it, I need to take even better care of it now...if that's possible. I found the bigger jets and will do some research to see what is used and how it's done.

Don't that big Gun slip on look great?

Old 09-05-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I had an xt225 for about a month. hated it. Gave it back to the dealer. There is a xt225 forum at www.xt225.com. Alot of people over there have changed the front sproket to a 13 tooth and say it woke the bike up. It also increases your RPM's. because your changing the gearing it will also change your shifting on a bike that your are already out of gears on when you hit 40mph.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
I had an xt225 for about a month. hated it. Gave it back to the dealer. There is a xt225 forum at www.xt225.com. Alot of people over there have changed the front sproket to a 13 tooth and say it woke the bike up. It also increases your RPM's. because your changing the gearing it will also change your shifting on a bike that your are already out of gears on when you hit 40mph.

Good luck.
I know that you're exaggerating (for effect) the 40mph bit but I still have my beginner's XT225 bike, with a 13T countershaft sprocket on it, and it accellerates to 60mph quite easily AND (for a beginner at dirt riding) it is quite capable. I did about 85% of my riding in the dirt and what I found was that the engine is underpowered somewhat (for my 160 lb. weight) but that primarily the bike's major fault (again, in the dirt) is that the suspension just isn't up to it. . . which is why I purchased my '06 KLX250. I think that the XT225 is the PERFECT first bike for dirt use considering that it's so easy to dab your feet when necessary. I'm considering keeping it and doing an exhaust and re-jetting mod! Really. . . I love this bike!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony

Good luck.
I know about the 225 forum and in fact I have been a member over there for over 2 years, I was just sharing what's new here. And as far as the power, I'm 6-1 and weigh 260 lbs and the bike still gets me around great, I just want more power.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and dropping the front sprocket down to a 13 from a 14 will not cause the bike to run out of "gears" I did it on the KLX and it only raised the rpms 500 while allowing 6th gear to actually accelerate.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

yo guys, can i throw my 2 cents in? plsssssss?
no?
well to bad..
lollolol
so listen.. i bought my wife a XT225 last yr.. she rides it every now and again, not nearly enough as id like to see her on it. the bike is now at the end of its second season and has a total of 390+- miles on it. basically brand new yet. i have ridden it alot the past yr because i hate to see it sitting their. i like the bike alot!!!
heres what i like and dislike about it.

dislikes:
1. stock pegs are junk!!!! - fixed by purchase of custom pegs located at the xt225 board.
2. stock handlebars junk!! - purchased a set of Pro-Tapers and installed this past winter.
3. no brush guards - purchased and installed a set of acerbis brushguards last winter.
4. rear brake is drum. - not worth messin with. altho i dont like the lack of a caliper/rotor for a bike of this size its bareable.
5. when downshifting or upshifting and you reach the last gear top or bottom there is no indication you have reached the end of the tranny. for example.... when at 1st gear and you try to drop down a gear the shifter is allowed full travel down but there is no gear their... with the KLX when you hit either limit you can tell as the shifter isnt given full swing when at the last gear.
6. Lacks a tach
7. This is kind of a moot point as it is only a 225 but with stock gearing at 65mph shes wound out.

1. with the new handlebars and pegs the bike is ultra comfortable!
2. the engineering is excellent on this machine.. grease zerks on all pivots!!!
3. wheely monster!!! this thing is 25 cc less than my heavily modified KLX and it stands straight up !
4. seat is very comfortable.. long rides are a breeze.
5. great bike for learning on! even with having my KLX i love to take her bike out for a ride as its very tight, no vibrations, and runs slick as snot!
6. did i say i love to ride it? this bike is a blast tho it isnt a KLX it does what its meant to do very well!!

id recommend this machine for anyone looking for a fun beginners bike or a small machine to scoot around surface streets/trails

Old 09-05-2008, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I had an '92 Serow XT225. With all the mods on the KLX, it would run away from the XT225. However, the Serow wheelied much easier than the KLX. The KLX is the worst wheeling bike I have ever owned, hands down.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

it's because of it's weight. it's rather heavy up front and has no torque. those two things together is why it won't wheelie plus the mushy suspension on the '06/'07. but alot of the key to wheelying the KLX is a good back tire. On my '06, the stock back tire would not grip at all and it would spin when I wanted to wheelie. The '09 back tire is a better gripping tire but it will still lose traction in the looser terrain. A full off-road tire is required for serious wheelying. It will do it however if you can get it to hook up and you keep the revs up.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Trav, how's it going man? I haven't seen you on for a while. In fact did you get booted off Thumpertalk? Or is there another guy using a name similar to yours? Anyway what's new? Did you see my Canada ride report?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...80#post7746480