Xmas vapor, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

As a follow up to my previous post: I first mounted the wheel sensor like Actra shows in a previous thread https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...klx250s-34253/

That's when I realized the protector guide would hit it when the fork compresses fully.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Poor cell phone pics, but do you get the idea? Pickup sensor riveted to fork guard. Not sure, but I may have had to trim a little off the sensor mount tab to get a fit.

RayCour - good reference thread.

Name:  IMG_20130317_112347_zps032b691a.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20130317_112335_zps07b4c6da.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  64.8 KB

Last edited by IDRIDR; 03-17-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay, a little progress to show.

Here is the cluster plug with all the wires I need. They are tiny wires but everything is there. Plan is to tap the proper wires so that the OEM cluster could be put back on.

Then the mounted vapor. Slick. I chose the height to be just a touch taller than the OEM gauge face and centered. Could have gone way to one side to allow room for GPS, plugs, switches whatever. Still could but for now, centered.

So on the disc magnet. I don't mind drilling a hole in the disc. Is that what you did Idridr? The OEM disc brake bolts are much different than the "replacements" from trailtech. Why the rivets? Just pop rivets?

I'll probably cut off that weird foam insulator too while I'm at it.

Okay, I'll read that other link now.

The vapor dash lights were prewired from trailtech assuming with the grounds paired off so that you get 6 conductors from 8 bulbs. They joined the grounds but failed to consider that some dash lights use switched negatives.

The wire color that feeds the dash light for the blinkers is the same color that actually feeds the bulb. It's looking like I'll need to keep these separate unless anybody is experts in diodes. I've never installed a diode but understand the function.

Attached Thumbnails Xmas vapor, which one?-vapor1.jpg   Xmas vapor, which one?-vapor2.jpg  

Last edited by Highbeam; 03-17-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Poor cell phone pics, but do you get the idea? Pickup sensor riveted to fork guard. Not sure, but I may have had to trim a little off the sensor mount tab to get a fit.
Thanks for the pics. Yes, that's what I did first. But... Isn't the protector guide to hit it when the fork compresses fully?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Well for the life of me I can't find the thread that has my Vapor install pic etc in it. Here are some photos of where I located the pickup for the spedo on mine. The magnet fit right in a slot on the brake disc. drilled a hole through the side of the hub and used epoxy to hold it in there.. cant find a pic of that, but the 07 disc's are different than the 09's. You can just see the magnet in the last pic.
Dan

Name:  IMG_8315.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8316.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8317.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  46.9 KB

Old 03-17-2013, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
So on the disc magnet. I don't mind drilling a hole in the disc. Is that what you did Idridr? The OEM disc brake bolts are much different than the "replacements" from trailtech. Why the rivets? Just pop rivets?
I JBWelded the magnet to the rotor. The weld broke lose once and I thought I'd lost the magnet, but it was still stuck to the rotor closer to the axle.

Yes, pop rivets to hold the sensor to the fork guard.

Originally Posted by RayCour
Thanks for the pics. Yes, that's what I did first. But... Isn't the protector guide to hit it when the fork compresses fully?
Ahhh crap, I didn't even think of that. But I've not fully compressed the forks yet either.

I should probably re-think this and go Dan's route. We'll see though, because I have replacement fork guards to install and it may work better for them.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like Dan's method is the best.

For now, here is what I ended up doing: you will not see it very well in the pic below, but the sensor is mounted horizontally where the guard bolts. I verified before that the magnet is detected correctly in this configuration (the magned passes under the sensor, not close to its side). I had to drill a hole in the sensor tab for that. The guard is bolted on top of it.

I make a kink in the wire (not shown above) so that it is routed along the brake line, under the guard. The guard sits a little distanced from the fork due to that, but I don't expect any consequence.

I'll let you know if it works flawlessy at all speeds once it warms up here.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I .
IDRIDR, I have found that the vapor has a utility that allows you to set the odometer so that it matches your OEM cluster. I remember that you were futzing with a drill or some other way to true up the trailtech. You just need the magical button sequence.

The install is proceeding slowly. I've got battery power and ground to the steering head now and have information regarding the proper diodes to be installed to get the blinkers to indicate on a single bulb as OEM vs. a left and right blinker indicator.

The smallest ATC fuse I could find was 5 amps so that's what I have feeding the vapor.

Desert100 is in two weeks. I need this thing together for the desert race.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR, I have found that the vapor has a utility that allows you to set the odometer so that it matches your OEM cluster.
Vapor ODO reset - DR - ThumperTalk

Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR, I have found that the vapor has a utility that allows you to set the odometer so that it matches your OEM cluster. I remember that you were futzing with a drill or some other way to true up the trailtech. You just need the magical button sequence.
Ya, I didn't know that at the time and had an old black and decker drill that I thought I'd try to smoke. Yup, did it. Seized that bugger right up and smoked up the house.

Quick Reply: Xmas vapor, which one?