X Games Enduro, anyone else going to watch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Why is it important for HS, enduros, ar MX to be on TV, or even to attract fans? It lasted and thrived a long time without doing so, and really, how are (as quoted) forests "spectator unfriendly"?
It's all about the woods, not piles of rubble in a stadium.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Zomby, what you're seeing is the evolution of a sport. Your racing days of the seventies was nearly forty years ago. Times change, the bikes have evolved, media has changed, many fans and riders are from a whole new generation that would not be interested in the same type of racing that does it for you. So endurocross is a new form of motorcycle racing that is spectator friendly, that's not such a bad thing in my eyes. As far as SX/MX being on TV, that's pretty much the only time I get to watch motorcycle racing (other than MotoGP/SBK), so I take what I can get and don't question the type of terrain the events are held on.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
I don't get the obstacles for the sake of obstacles. I like enduros, and hare scramble because of the natural element. There is no way a pile of rocks, some telephone poles, and tractor tires can reproduce that kind of experience, and that experience is the whole idea.

I raced motocross in the 70's, before super cross. The tracks were fast, rugged, and natural. These days (you can thank super cross for this), it's become perfectly normal for people to build a track in a flat field, with 20 jumps, and call it motocross. IT'S NOT MOTOCROSS.
Double, triple, table top, woop section, repeat as required. Personally, I find it boring. My club races at 4, or 5 tracks like this, and i don't attend those races. Back in the day, if somebody built a track like that, they'd not only get laughed at, but they'd go bankrupt in a few months. 30 minutes from my house, is a track used in the Canadian national series called gopher dunes. It's built in a flat field of 18" deep sand, and they actually run national championships there. It embarrasses me as a Canadian racer.
That's how super cross has ruined motocross.

This is motocross

[img]x[/img]

This is lame

[img]x[/img]
Not sure where you live but your pictures sure don't resemble any moto-x tracks I've seen in my parts.
The only time I've seen what you show is in someones back yard!

I think it's great the Supercross and other M/C events are on cable and broadcast. Brings more people into the sport to see what going on and gain a lot more interest in it.
Like I said previously the "old school" motocross is still very active and mighty popular, nothing has changed there other than going to 4-cycle bikes, more power, and a ton of skill. I still like the ole 2-strokers, kept the mosquitoes away.
Every "old school" motocross event I go to is packed!

Open your eyes and heart to new things.......it's not taking over anything else, just adding more options and fun.
Way cool IMHO.....

btw - I don't ride my old 1975 Kawasaki 100cc enduro any longer either.........does that mean it's no longer "motorcycling"?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

supercross is for show, motocross is for go, but neither ruined the other (but yes, mx has evolved over time and now has more jumps vs. the good old days). enduro cross is kinda cool, same level as arena cross for me. now for the xgames, thats been dead to me sennce they took out rollerblading years ago even though it was one of the most watched sports.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Why is it important for HS, enduros, ar MX to be on TV, or even to attract fans? It lasted and thrived a long time without doing so, and really, how are (as quoted) forests "spectator unfriendly"?
It's all about the woods, not piles of rubble in a stadium.
I never said it was, I was only trying to find out how a televised EX can be the end of a non-televised one. So how is EX the ruination of HS, enduros, or MX? One is an extreme event in a stadium, the other is more traditional off-road racing.

I just think EX on TV is good because people might watch it and say, hey, I know a couple of people that race locally, maybe I'll give that a try because I think I can ride like Taddy Blazusiak and I'm gonna go out there and race the local hare scramble and I'm gonna win the dang thing first time. Lol. And I figure more people at the races means more money for the local series and will help ensure it'll be run again next year. And with more people into it, maybe more trails and places to ride will open up, instead of the opposite happening. That's why I said it's a good thing. IMO, of course.

Besides, it's entertaining and I enjoyed the show. Man that course was brutal. It made a lot of those veteran pros look like first time riders. And my son's friend who watched it with us, says, "I could do that, that looks easy." Haha. I told him I bet you a thousand dollars you couldn't do one lap, he said you are on. But I guess we will never know. But I know. Lol

Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

The events are organized, marketed and held indoors for one reason - to make money. If you have enough capitol and connections to pull off an event like that, and fill the seats, you will make money.

If there is good money to be made, and you aren't doing it, someone else will.

...and it's just a personal choice to to compete/attend an event like this. Some like it, some don't.

I'm not a racer, but this looks like a sweet track.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

This is motocross

That's how I remember Motocross!

I had a buddy who raced in high school (back in the 70's). He had lots of acreage, and built his own track in a giant hilly field near his house. I had lots of fun riding that course, even though I was never good enough to make a racing career out of it.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Also ...

Mike Brown is one bad dude!

That is all.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Man what a brutal course that was. I don't think I could ever subject my bike to that much punishment.

They got a lot faster though by the time the championship came around. I hope they keep this event.

Ugh, the chicks were also very hard to watch. Probably what I would look like out there.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
Man what a brutal course that was. I don't think I could ever subject my bike to that much punishment.

They got a lot faster though by the time the championship came around. I hope they keep this event.

Ugh, the chicks were also very hard to watch. Probably what I would look like out there.
Those "girls" could beat 99.9% of anyone here. Even though it was painful to watch, I think they made it look easy by comparison to your average rider here or elsewhere. Those course are just *that* hard. When you see pro riders floundering, men or women, the rest of us don't stand a chance.

I know for a fact those big log crossings are just plain hard. Not the regular telephone pole sized stuff, those are not hard, but those big ones that are 3 or 4 feet in diameter. I took Jason Raine's racing course last December and doing one of those big ones was optional after the log crossing session. Out of 9 people in the class, only 4 people even attempted it, and only 2 of those made it. I was one of the ones that made it, but only after the 3rd attempt, and I was stoked that I did it. Then throw in all the other almost impossible stuff they have to do, and it's a lot harder than it looks.

Yeah, I felt bad for the girls, but I also know that even they could smoke me like I was standing still.

I'd love for them to open that up to some "weekend warriors" for a few hours after the event and get it on film. I bet it would be a great blooper reel.

Quick Reply: X Games Enduro, anyone else going to watch?