WTF is with these Harley riders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What is with these Harley riders?

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

They ride up from Phoenix and Scottsdale in huge packs of up to 40 riders
You sure they are really riding up from there? I bet they are trailering it up and parking the trailer and unloading their relics once they reach your city limits....

Old 07-26-2007, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

Jerry you missed one of my earlier posts:

This is a regular occurrence - The town I'm living in is a tourist attraction and in the last 7-years is becoming a "Sturgis" port for these HD riders. They ride up from Phoenix and Scottsdale in huge packs of up to 40 riders - typically 500 to 1000 HD's will come into town over the course of a weekend. The larger groups block both lanes and hold up traffic with their slow "das group" driving. So this quiet little town hears nothing but the loud ripping sound of Harley's going by all weekend mainly to hit the bars. I guess I just don't understand this kind of follow-the-leader "lemming-like" riding.
Well then, The solution is simple. Get a ZX-6R and smoke past 'em like they were standing still. I know that's my next bike. I have to wonder if these guys are the true Harley riders of the past that grew up riding in the dirt like many of us or are the they the new breed of Yuppies that have caused the price of these Harleys to skyrocket???

Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 AM

I admire the craftsmanships of Harleys, and I try ot respect anyone that rides. But there unfortunately are too many riders of all makes that aren;t part of the motorcycle community. I passed another BMW R1200RT same as mine this afternoon and was floored that he didn't wave. There's all types among any group.

This morning I passed guy on HD. He was taking his time accelerating up tothe speed limit, so when legal I made a pass briskly (got up ot 90)because traffic was comming. I look in my rear view mirror now doing 70mph (on a 2 lane 55mphroad) and he's keeping pace. I figure... ok, so you think you're bike is fast... I drop to 5th accelerate to 85mph for a2long sweepers and watch him disapear behind me. I might have a "touring bike" that can be mistaken for a goldwing... but it handles more like a sportbike.

I once remember passing a HD on my kawasaki too. I disapeared again after one or two turns.

Lastly, there is a story of a HD that pulls up to a BMW R1200GS Adventure (giant dirtbike with 100hp) at a stopliught that just gotback form ridingoff road andis all muddy. The HD says his bike looks like a garbage truck and goes on to explain how he has a screaming eagle kit...blah, blah, blah. Long story short, they race and he gets smoked by the BMW. Pulls up again and says he had a bad start. Gets beat even worse. The third light, he stayed back 20 feet.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Sure, throw a few more jalepenos on there.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

so Iowaguy -- what sort of harley do you ride? why waste your time with anything but a harley since they are the rolex of the motorcycle world? I mean i like some of the harleys, i have nothing against the motorcycle, just some of its riders.

what makes a rolex worth what it sels for? nothing but the consumers market and the fact that yuppies will pay that much to gain a little prestige. you can get more robust, better performing, designer styled watches for less from other quality brands.

Sure a harley is like a rolex, not worth its asking price (to me anyways)

Old 07-26-2007, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello IG..... We need you in isle 6..... again.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

If you were on your klx you should have ridden up the grass on the center or side of the road and passed them .

Quick Reply: WTF is with these Harley riders?