WTF is with these Harley riders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Default RE: What is with these Harley riders?

If they're wearing a 1%er patch or certain rockers, you'll want to keep eyes front and press on. I don't like it either, but it's a fact of life.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

most of the people that buy a harley (and not another brand of street bike) buy it for the "elitist" status since to them there are no other motorcycles but harleys.

its sad really, they need a motorcycle to feel better about themselves.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

The town I'm living in is a tourist attraction and in the last 7-years is becoming a "Sturgis" port for these HD riders. They ride up from Phoenix and Scottsdale in huge packs of up to 40 riders - typically 500 to 1000 HD's will come into town over the course of a weekend. The larger groups block both lanes and hold up traffic with their slow "das group" driving. So this quiet little town hears nothing but the loud ripping sound of Harley's going by all weekend mainly to hit the bars. I guess I just don't understand this kind of follow-the-leader "lemming-like" riding. One thing that really pisses off American's is bad drivers who go slower than the speed limit and "hog" up the road - doesn't that constitute a road rage shooting on the LA freeways?!

"Some people are like a Slinky.....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs."

Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

maybe its just my area (doubt it) but when crossing paths with other motorcyclists we always wave. unless its the street rods, and then its only about half of them that will wave back.

so are they just rude? or scared to pull a hand off the bars?

Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 PM

Group rides can be very rewarding (i.e. a Patriot Guard Rider mission) and fun, like taking a tour with friends, klx.

The reason these groups are sometimes slow, besides just their numbers, is that they will put the least experienced rider behind the ride captain and ride at that person's comfortable pace -for safety.

I personally don't do too many group rides, but I respect their right to do so and understand why groups have to ride the way they do -there's a method to it for safety and pleasure sake.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah but it says something when the only people that don't wave are harley riders.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
educate yourself- I would be willing to bet that HD changes their bikes more year in and year out than japanese manufacturers. the whole sportster line was revamped in '04 and has seen major changes from then to the new '08's, the dyna chassis was redesignedin '07, and they just introduced their new 96 cubic inch big twin with fuel injection standard that goes in every big bike (non sportster). abs is now an option on a lot of their bikes as well. they also just came out with 3 totally brand new bikes this year. their bikes are all sold for a reason- they are awesome. any other cruiser in my book is a sad imitation. another reason they are so popular is because of the personalization capability with accessories. an example of another company trying to do what HD does is Yamaha's Star motorcycles. nice, but still doesn't come from Milwaukee, York, or KC. When your cruiser is built in Thailand or Japan, it just doesn't evoke the kind of feeling I would want when cruising down Route 66 for example.
and i whole heartedly support that. doesn't give any of them the right to be dicks to people with non american made bikes.

Quick Reply: WTF is with these Harley riders?