WTF is with these Harley riders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What is with these Harley riders?

Well since I made the original post I should take responsibility for the sh*t storm it turned into.

I don't know about keeping the conversation positive all the time unless we were living in a perfect world and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Controversy is just that - this post is about a real issue that effects us all, whether you're on a bike or in a car. When I realized that the HD riders were putting my life in jeopordy I basically had two choices - Go for it or back off. I backed off. Motorcycles have a way of bringing out the kid as well as the egotistical idiot in us. Of course the finger pointing and name calling doesn't help either. But when a "group" of people are allowed (because people are afraid to do anything about it) to "hijack" public streets for there own benefit and ignore the rights of others and the law - something is wrong here. I didn't want to stereotype HD riders in a negative light with this post - they seem to be doing that on there own. But then again.. every generalization is false, including this one.

One person's Religion is another person's Belly Laugh.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, “DAMN, what a ride!!”

Old 07-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

Well since I made the original post I should take responsibility for the sh*t storm it turned into.

I don't know about keeping the conversation positive all the time unless we were living in a perfect world and I don't see that happening anytime soon. Controversy is just that - this post is about a real issue that effects us all, whether you're on a bike or in a car. When I realized that the HD riders were putting my life in jeopordy I basically had two choices - Go for it or back off. I backed off. Motorcycles have a way of bringing out the kid as well as the egotistical idiot in us. Of course the finger pointing and name calling doesn't help either. But when a "group" of people are allowed (because people are afraid to do anything about it) to "hijack" public streets for there own benefit and ignore the rights of others and the law - something is wrong here. I didn't want to stereotype HD riders in a negative light with this post - they seem to be doing that on there own. But then again.. every generalization is false, including this one.

One person's Religion is another person's Belly Laugh.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, “DAMN, what a ride!!”

got to call a spade a spade [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 07-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

No; I'm not touching the Harley issue. However, there needs to be some clarifiation about Rolex here. (No; I don't own one.) The reason why Rolex is such a revered brand (yes, perhaps exaggerated for the wrong reasons by the egocentric fashion-conscious crowd)is because of their manufacturing excellence.Let me explain.
Most mechanical watches use a handful of movements made by ETA, which is a company that broke off from Eterna many years ago. Think of this processfrom a manufacturing perspective; it's easier to buy batch movements from a supplier and install them in your "brand" case. (The same goesfor the hands and dials and bands.) Just like Ford or GM;most don't make every part of every vehicle. Rolex is known as a "manufacture" company, because they DO make every part of every watch they sell. There are only a handful of such watch companies out there.Rolex is known in the industryfor testing their products above and beyond what other makers typically do. Their watch "rate" results (how well they keep time) are typically, consistently among the industry'sbest. There is a Swiss outfit known asTHE testing authority for mechanical watches. All which pass with a deviation of less than -4 to +6 seconds per day receive a "chronometer" certificate. Rolex tests their watches to even stricter standards, although all are tested by the Swiss authority, too. To make a very long story short, the reason why Rolex is the industry benchmark (despite all hype and BS)is because of their manufacture of all components, and because they "typically" (by volume) outperform other brands for rate accuracy. They are a very conservative company which makes a damn good (overpriced? over-hyped?) product. Rolls Royce is another example.
People buy different brands for different reasons. Personally, I buy stuff for how well it does what it does based on the technology used, service-ablity, utility to me, price, and reliability. I own several high dollar watches (Tutima, Breitling, Eterna,) as well as the G-shock and others Ilike, but for very different reasons. BUT, THEY ALL KEEP TIME!!
Bikes are the sameexact thing. The people who buy them may think their brand is the BEST but not know a damn thing about them. (Gee; religious people do the same thing. Don't get me started.) THEY ALL HAVE 2 WHEELS!!
Keep your heads on, guys. It's not about thebikes or the watches or religion; different people will invest psychologically and financially in whatever satisfies a particular need. When they become obnoxiousor otherwise offensive with their "investment" itinvariably becomes more about THEIR needs than anything to do with you. Don't take the bait. Don't legitimize their ignorance in crossing the line of good judgement. Walk away.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

My rollex is spelled with 2 "L's" prirated from china lol

Old 07-26-2007, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Notstock

lol

Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad to see this thread is still running strong. It makes my day. Hopefully, we'll get another mouthful of Iowaguy's reasoning's as to why a Harley is a real bike, and anybody riding anything else is riding a poser bike.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Notstock

Hey, I have an Omega like that

Old 07-26-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Casio RULES!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

WAW! WAW! WAW!

"A rider didn't wave at me" [sm=idontcare.gif]

Old 07-26-2007, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

i love my metal banded casio(s)
I'm hard on my hands so plastic and leather bands don't last and no point in getting something nice because it will only live for about a year. unless i can find someone that makes a tungsten carbide watch that uses a transparent aluminum ceramic lense.

maybe then it could stand up to my abuse.

I had to get a tungsten carbide wedding band because i knocked the shine and diamonds off my original white gold wedding band (it turned yellow)

Quick Reply: WTF is with these Harley riders?