WTF is with these Harley riders?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What is with these Harley riders?

No grass in the desert except on the 368 golf courses we have in this county - the shoulder is hard ground with loose granite gravel with big a*s cactus (like riding on ice without spikes) plus I wasn't wearing my sixsixone pro pressure suit - I'd rather take my chances with the HD's.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IOWAGAY

you just have to argue with anything someone writes dont you.I bet if someone gave you a junker you'd play it to be the best thing in the world. And you really need to do your homework if you think the Roadking is that much more of a bike than most of the metric cruisers that would ride circles around the harley.nuff said sucker[sm=angrymail.gif]
ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

ORIGINAL: BurntOrange

Iowa, I did say performance. My stock Nomad will light up a stock Road King in the 0-60, 1/4, you name it -I'll smile and wave as I leave it in the dust.

I paid 12k for my Nomad and I challeng you to go toa HD dealer and buy a new bike for MSRP. The RKs in two shops I went in were marked up to over 20k.

As for investment, that is what stocks are for. I'll take the 8-10k I didn't spend on a tank badge and use it for road trips. I never buy a bike for the purpose of resaleing it -why would anyone do that?

I never said it was the "best" bike, I just wanted to make the point that it is NOT a "sad imitation" of anything.
research Lentner Cycle Co. in Ottumwa, Iowa. they are a very large HD/Buell dealer for many years. On each bike they have a factory card listing msrp, tax, setup, freight. Each one is taken straight off HD's suggested pricing and nothing is marked up a red cent. Doesn't matter if you're buying a std. sportster 883 or a Screamin' Eagle Night Train. Everything is sold at msrp legitimate pricing. And they can get any bike you want. Same goes for C&C Custom Cycle in Chariton, Iowa. This is the largest HD dealer in the midwest and where I had bought my Sporty in '03. Retail all the way here too. This isn't 1995.
As far as performance goes, I'd have to see your Nomad "light up" a Road King. I would venture to say that it would be real close and I am almost sure the HD is putting out more torque. Anyways, I do not buy cruisers for acceleration. It's okay to be proud of your import cruiser, but do not get the false assumption that it is in the same class as a Harley-Davidson. Because it isn't. You could look at it like a false Rolex compared to a real one. Everyone knows it's a fake. But that doesn't mean that it doesn't function just fine. That shaft drive is a dead giveaway from the real thing.
You can downplay resale value all you want, but you know it's real and that you will not keep that bike forever. Eventually, you will lose money on it. Don't get me wrong though, I do like the Nomad but would never buy one. My neighbor has a VTX1800, sounds like a 350 chevy with his pipes. Sweet bike and is built like a tank. But it's still a Honda and that's it's biggest fault. It's a foreign made cruiser. Kind of like comparing a Toyota Tundra to a Dodge Ram or F150 or any domestic pickup. The Toyota is nice, but everyone knows it has Tacoma underpinnings and is basically a very weak pickup. Their frames are like paper.
I think its time to step in here and say lets all let it go, and move on, and as a new Moderator (yea I just couldn't wait to use that one) I for one have had to eat crow about my earlier statements about Harley riders. Since the begining of summer, we have had all kinds of riders come through our small town and 99% of them have waved to me on my DS bike. And this includes the Harley riders. So I have had to re-think my ignorant stereotype, and learn a new way to think. And finally I think its time to delete this user name as it is not really helping anything.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I just got home from Seattle at the University, and I was surprised to see nearly 100 posts in this thread all in one day. Wow that has to be a record. While activity is good, let's keep it on a somewhat positive and helpful nature.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:31 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

how the hell do you do that with a KLX?
easily .... do it mid corner, no harley ever built will outcorner a KLX [8D]

Yes you harley riders this was said in jest even though its true, lighten up dudes

Old 07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

7 pages in 1 day...... wow.......

Old 07-26-2007, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks IG, I'm still laughing

Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM

I would just like to say that never on this thread did I trash HD or their riders by calling them anything that they are not. Unlike Iowa who calls all non-harley bikes imitations and various other names. If you feel better, Iowa, by calling other brand bikes imitations, then go ahead. All I did was lay out some facts about performance.

Hell, I was on your side at the beginning when you were talking about not stereotyping bikers. I don't stereotype anyone, unfortunately you make that hard by taking the stereotypical path you took.

Now, feel free to post and say whatever you want about me or my bike -you know the real truth but will never admit it and I'm ok with that, it's your loss.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:04 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kohburn.

Sure a harley is like a rolex, not worth its asking price (to me anyways)
Dude that's a real slap in the face for Rolex. At least Rolex takes pride in their craftsmanship and put out well crafted merchandise. Also you shake a Rolex to wind it up. As you wind up a Harley, it shakes to self destruction.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

so now i'm not a patriot because i choose to like a bike based on its quality and design and not because it was designed and built in america?

very nice. would you like to fly the rebel flag next?

so you like rolexes.. how about another analogy. tickle-me-elmo.. remember those? the little toy that because every parent in america wanted their kid to have one they were getting sold on ebay for 10X what they cost in the store. were they really worth that much? no. where people willing to pay it anyways? sure they were because they really wanted it.

you get a lot of the same market drive with a lot of products from cars, motorcycles (of varying brands not just one), clothing, etc.

making a generalization about a group of people doesn't badmouth them all or the company - it is just an observation that to the individual making the statement has been generally true. it is absolutely impossible for you to refute someone elses personal experience.

I've met nice guys who ride harleys, and crossed paths with some real jerks. the ones that maintain your attitude of "if you ride something other than a harley you are unamerican", or "there are no real bike but harleys"really **** me off. its the same retarded attitude as the people that say the mustang is the only real muscle car, or the camaro, or the vette. (note: this comment can NOT be read as meaning that all mustang/camaro/vette drivers think this way. only that some of them do and its annoying)

So you are a harley guy, good for you. I can see where you might have been offended feeling like they were talking about you. So don't prove them right by having a pissy attitude and making blanket statements about how harley owns all. If you don't want to be one of the guys they are talking about then prove them wrong.

Quick Reply: WTF is with these Harley riders?