WR250R vs. KLX250S HP and Torque Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: WR250R vs. KLX250S HP and Torque Comparison

No one bike is going to satisfy everyone. We all have different ideas on what makes a great bike. Main thing is to learn all you can about bikes you are considering before you make the purchase and give the greatest weight to those things that are most important to YOU. That way, you can rest easy knowing you got the right bike for you and you won't be second guessing yourself thinking maybe you should have bought a different one.

On the other hand, I don't buy a bike with the intent to keep it forever, so that makes purchases easier. I won't be locked in until the wheels rust off before I switch it up again. It may turn out that I keep it a long time, but I'm willing to change if the mood strikes me. Not saying that's for everyone, but I like variety and even if I'm happy with something, I'll change it up and try something new just because. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, but you always learn something. Sometimes the new thing isn't necessarily better, but just different - a different flavor, but just as good, so to speak. If nothing else, that provides you with a wide range of experience that others don't have. I mean heck, why not? Life's too short to live in a rut. How will you ever experience new things if you never change? Shadetree's right that it's very expensive to stay up with the latest and greatest. But it's not so bad if you back away from the edge a little bit and change things up every now and then.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

BTW, where's the link to the WR video?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: IG

just fyi- there is no way the new WR makes anywhere close to 30 rwhp. that's nearly where the real Yamaha WRF enduro ends up on horsepower and the two engines aren't even close to similar. I would say 20 rwhp on the WR would be more in the ballpark. A KLX can be modded and tuned to make more power for a ton of money less than the WR which is a grand more to begin with. But like someone else said, get what you want. And yeah, I'll go on record with this post.
IG - - Just FYI -- you B wrong.--dead wrong. But that's nothing new - you usually are.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX 06-07 makes 24.5 Horepower at the crank, I'm sure the WR is real close to this.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 PM
IG

ORIGINAL: rhrose

just fyi- there is no way the new WR makes anywhere close to 30 rwhp. that's nearly where the real Yamaha WRF enduro ends up on horsepower and the two engines aren't even close to similar. I would say 20 rwhp on the WR would be more in the ballpark. A KLX can be modded and tuned to make more power for a ton of money less than the WR which is a grand more to begin with. But like someone else said, get what you want. And yeah, I'll go on record with this post.
IG - - Just FYI -- you B wrong.--dead wrong. But that's nothing new - you usually are.
funny you're the only one saying this. prove me wrong smarty. what are you disputing, the fact that the KLX only makes around 18 rwhp, the fact that the WR will only make 20 rwhp or the fact that the WRF250 makes 30 rwhp? If you can prove me wrong, I'll quit my membership. I'll be waiting...............anxiously...not! You can't prove me wrong but I'm interested to see what you come up with.oh no wait,...

Old 01-05-2008, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

rhrose it sounds like to me that you are leaning towards the WR. So If I was you I would get it! I'm sure the WR is going to be a great bike! For an Extra thousand bucks you get the extra h.p. and not have to mod the bike with a 300cc or 331 kit to get the same h.p., sounds good to me! I am not bashing the KLX it is a great bike butAs for me i will not be keeping the klx for long. I will be replacing it with a 450 cause ANY 250 just don't have the H.P. I want! But I will say this no matter what bike you buy you will not find a better forum than this! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-06-2008, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I would think that the difference in HP could be equalized with Mods because they are the same Displacement. The 13 tooth front gear must bump up the RWHP for starters. I think you should decide between 250 and 450 VS. comparing different 250's. My KLX is still bone stock and I ride some very difficult trails on it with very low skill levels. It is very predictable and nimble. It gets up nasty little hills with ease and lands beautifully off jumps. Plus, I know I can do free mods to open it up more and then add exhaust & Jets to really unleash some power. The WR is probably better in stock trim but I bet it can't keep up with some of the Modded KLX's some members on this Forum have. Enjoy the bike you do get and don't be afraid to take your time deciding. I am sure there is a KLX owner near where you live that Will let you test drive one. I will let you ride mine if you are near MT Airy, NC. LOL, Is anything near MT Airy, NC?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:12 AM
IG

I'm wondering how you guys found out the new WR"S" makes more power than the KLX since it's not even out yet. What makes you think it will make more power? It does not have the WRF engine or anything close. It will be a pooch just like the KLX. Don't let the FI and new frame fool you. Still waiting to see if I should cancel my membership or not.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm wondering how you guys found out the new WR"S" makes more power than the KLX since it's not even out yet. What makes you think it will make more power? It does not have the WRF engine or anything close. It will be a pooch just like the KLX. Don't let the FI and new frame fool you. Still waiting to see if I should cancel my membership or not.
Isn't this entire discussion based on the HMF Dyno test?

Old 01-06-2008, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I think your numbers are off by just a bit.

The KLX250S is advertised here in Japan with 28hp at the crank. The earlier J series is listed in the service manual with 30hp at the crank. You can't just grab the lowest dyno figure you can find either. I have seen -in person-the stock KLX dyno at 20hp quite regularly. Also, you cannot just use fuzzy math to come up with a dyno figure from a crank hp reading because your results vary significantly from machine to machine. The same goes for magically coming up with a crank hp figure from a dyno reading...it doesn't work that way.

Another point is the that the WR is a heavier machine, due mostly to what Yamaha calls an EXUP valve that they incorporate in the exhaust header. This valvesrestricts flowat lower RPM's increasing the back pressure for more low-end torque, then opens at higher RPM to increase the flow.What's more, if you want to go to a full aftermarket exhaust, you will have toremove theEXUP valve,further reducing the low-end torque on amachine that hasacam grind suited for peak power at highRPM.

With the the added weight, I would say that any hpadvantage the WR might have -small as it may be- will be offsetby the pork added by that valve.

In the end, I think you will be happy with either machine and it already appears that you are exaggerating to help yourself decide, but the $1000.00 to $1500.00 price difference will turn more than few people off.

ORIGINAL: rhrose

FYI the following are the FACTORY HP and Torqueratings for these two bikes.

2008 FI WR250R-STOCK KLX250S STOCK

HP 30.7 22.0Dyno 18.3 HP- rear wheel
Torque(ft. lbs) 17.48 14.5(Estimate) Dyno 13 ft. lbs.

Based on the foregoing (using a conservative 20% reduction for HP and 12 % for torgue) that would make the WR20R make approximately 24.56 RWHP and 15.38 ft. lbs of torque.

As you might guess I am struggling even more with buying the KLX and having to spend approx. $1500 to get anywhere near the WR250R performance figures. Comments welcome

PS - The dyno figures were obtained from the HMF dyno test

Quick Reply: WR250R vs. KLX250S HP and Torque Comparison