WR250R Report

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: WR250R Report-update

ORIGINAL: deej

Hey Tony, what kind of vibe did you get from the guy who bought the KLX? Is he a true DS guy? Any contact information, so you can invite him to ride with us sometime?
The fellow is a bit more vertically challenged than I am. He was talking lowering links. He wanted the large tank, because he rides the desert by San Diego. He also joined ADV, I asked if he was interested in the KF site, but not a very enthusiastic response.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

I'm sure the 300/331/340 kits would have killer low-end. I'd love to ride one.
I saw my first WR250R yesterday. I didn't sit on it simply because I couldn't get my leg over it. I swear the thing sat higher than the YZF MXers it was sitting by. That is a BIG bike, why is it so tall I will never know. It is friggin huge. I knew I didn't care for the tank/shroud design- now I know why. The shrouds are part of the tank. It makes it look kind of wide at that point. It is a nice bike, but I would never trade my '09 for one. I'd always feel like I was going to tip over. Plus the styling, while subjective, to me is somewhat questionable with it's radical rear-end and tankcoupled with the old '80's style headlight.
09, you sound a bit jadded, but that's fine, keep lovin' your bike.

After lowering the bike, with the adjustment nut on the bottom of the shock, it doesn't feel any taller than the '06 did when it was new. I still cannot sit flat footed, but my KLR is the same way. After 13K miles, the KLX was a flat footer. I'm hoping for similar results on the WR. I still mount the bike using the left peg. If I'm not mistaken, the 09 is a dash lower than the 06?

I haven't removed the shrouds yet, but they look the same as the 06's. Unscrew the shrouds to access the tank. The WR shrouds stick out like the KLX stockies, just waiting to catch a branch or something. That's why I prefer the Acerbis tank, more protection, less hook.

The WR handles completely different than my 06. The books say its heavier than the KLX, but the way it turns in the corners, and the front to rear balance characteristics, tend to make it ride as a lighter bike. When it comes to pulling it out of a mud hole, I'm sure it will be all pig. [sm=boohoo.gif]

As for the styling...it makes the little kids press there faces to the car window and give the "thats so cool" look...Priceless.[sm=bling.gif]

I prefer function over style most of the time. I can't knock the KLX, it's a great DS bike and I certainly know the WR isn't for everybody.

Take care.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

nah dude, not at all. just couldn't believe how big the bike really was in person. I like the bike somewhat, just not crazy about a few things just like the fenders on my '09. I like what kawi did to the '09 in other areas enough to choose it over the WR. The yami is light years ahead of the kawi in chassis and technology with the new WR, but I'm old school and if it works, why change it- just update it a bit and I'm sold.
The '09's seat height isn't any lower, just the bike itself is somehow. It's weird to explain. Don't get the wrong perception, I just was stating why I like the KLX and the things I dislike about the WR. I'm sure I could switch them around to make the WR sound good too. But I do like the KLX better, that's why I chose it. To each his own.