The WR250R is kicking some serious ass...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: The WR250R is kicking some serious ***...

Trail Rider had a blurb on the new WR's. Here are a few excerpts:

When comparing the WR250F (off-road version) to the WR250R (the road-legal version), they had this to say:

"Though both bikes share the WR name of the WR250F, there are very few similar parts between these new machines and the dirt bike."

"We need to point out that the WR250R is intended for a totally different riding purpose than the original WR250F. We expect the WR250R to be used for commuting, dual sport riding, and very casual off-roading, judging from the components fitted to the bike."

"Also, the 250R has a claimed dry weight of 276 pounds, exactly 42 pounds heavier than the 234 pound claimed dry weight for the WR250F."

"We expect the WR250R to appeal to dual sport riders, and frankly will be surprised to see any of them used in off-road competition, but we're also still intrigued enough to be very interested in trying the production bike out when it becomes available mid-winter."

While I'm glad to see more dual sport options available, IMO, Japan is going in the wrong direction, making them heavier and less off-road worthy. I hope if Kawasaki makes a road-legal KLX450, they don't castrate it to do so like the WR250R. But on the up-side, there is a street legal WR250R this year, whereas last year there was not and that's a positive move even if I'm a little disappointed its specs aren't closer to the off-road version.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I read the same thing. The new wr250r shares nothing with the wr250f except the name. The motor isn't all new, it was already being used in a Japan market bike and it is a 4-valver not a 5-valve.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX is a worthy trail bike, nota race bike. I love mine, just wish the engine noise was so loud. But other than that, it will scream all day long and still take the abuse of off-roading. Then I can turnit around and use it to communte to work and get a constant 65mpg.

Why did I choose the KLX. Simple, there was no other better choice. Price, Weight, Power, Handling, Comfort.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I really like the WR250 by Husquvarna. If I was gonna get serious about enduros, it might be my choice. I really liked my experience with the brand in the past.
After the mods, the KLX is perfect for what I want to do with it.
When you factor in that I paid 1/2 what the Husky costs new and dealer network it was an obvious choice.
Besides, I'm too old and out of shape to race. I just like to have fun in the woods.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess some people can't enjoy what they have because they are always wanting what they don't have. I am grateful for for My KLX and the endless hours of enjoyment it has given me and will keep giving. I hope this doesn't applyto otherthings in your life like house, car, Girlfriend etc....The KLX is an amazing machinebut it is what it is. If you want the Yamaha then get it. The KLX has beenknown to go over 60,000 miles so I am sure it can finish just about any race man.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with you gerry,I just enjoy my klx for what it is and don't expect anything else from it.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

I guess some people can't enjoy what they have because they are always wanting what they don't have. I am grateful for for My KLX and the endless hours of enjoyment it has given me and will keep giving. I hope this doesn't applyto otherthings in your life like house, car, Girlfriend etc....The KLX is an amazing machinebut it is what it is. If you want the Yamaha then get it. The KLX has beenknown to go over 60,000 miles so I am sure it can finish just about any race man.

SIGH...

I don't plan on getting the Yammie, and I don't want it (although if somebody offered me to trade my KLX for the WR i'd probably take it, just to see how the bike runs).

I was just saying that I had my doubts as to whether or not the KLX could finish the ISDE in one piece...

Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

SIGH...

I don't plan on getting the Yammie, and I don't want it (although if somebody offered me to trade my KLX for the WR i'd probably take it, just to see how the bike runs).

I was just saying that I had my doubts as to whether or not the KLX could finish the ISDE in one piece...
I know I'll take some flack for what I wrote and hope it isn't taken as mean. I just think people today just get tired of things too quickly. I'm sure there are better bikes for certain applications but honestly, the KLX is the best for its' intended purpose>>> Which is.......going from to trail to road and then back to trail and so on and so on. If you really want to race then you have to decide between asphault or dirt. You could probably win a hare scrambler on a KLX with mods unless you are too big for it.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a major problem with the wr250................its fargen BLUE people! Who the hell wants a blue bike??

Keep em keen make em GREEN!!
Cheers!

Old 11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: captaintrps

I would agree that "out of the box", the KLX isn't a "race" bike, but I'd bet I could finish an enduro on one, definitely a NJ enduro. The blinkers may be busted off, but I'd finish. It would be fun.

Bob

The KLX is not the best racing bike but I entered 5 enduros this year on it and placed in three. Two fourth place and a 6th in c vet. I love racing and picked up a 2005 KTM 250EXC for next year. I plan on keeping the KLX for legal riding reasons. Anyone who is thinking about racing this bike go for it. The only thing it needs are better tires and gearing. The first enduro I entered I did on a stock klx at the greenbriar national event in port elizabeth NJ. I did dnf but I finished 3/4 of the race. The next race I put a 49t and some michelon s12's and took a fourth. The only other race I did not finish was the moonshine in pa. It was a rock run and my suspension was not set up for this task or me. Go for it and race the bike the only problem is the lack of aftermarket products for the bike stock parts get expensive.

Quick Reply: The WR250R is kicking some serious ass...