WOW, air box lid...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default WOW, air box lid...

Just a little background, I've done most mods, jet, pilot adj, pipe, carby mods, and at the time just removed snorkle and drilled 2 extra1" holes in lid and plastic welded screen on bottom side of lid under holes because I wanted too keep as much garbage out of air box as possible (stockfilter by the way). I was happy with how it ran with the exception of a little decel pop.Prior to going on a little ride yesterday I decided to get rid of lid completely. Talk about waiting too long. That may have been the most noticeable improvement since first gearing it. Most of you have probably already lost the lid. If not, and there is decel pop to your machine, give it a go. I was blown away.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: WOW, air box lid...

mine ran good, mid to top with it gone.. but fell on its face on the low end...

Old 03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I had an impossible time getting the jettingcorrect without the lid and didn't care much for the droning sound on long rides, I run the KDX snorkel and a Uni filter.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear Member

I noticed a huge improvement too when I didtched mine....but it didnt get rid of the decel popping. I even ran with leaner jets and different needle setting. Not too worried about it.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried it once, and it felt like it took away all throttle response, and sounded terrible.. Or to me it sounded terrible.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Removing the lid will make your bike very lean you have to richen the fuel mixture through out the throttle range and in my opinon with the stock carb you can never really get the tune up correct you need a cable controlled slide not vacum ...... And it does make a lot of noise under the seat.....there is only so much performance you can get out of the stock carbAnd remember a lean condition will appear to give you more power but your on the edge of melting aluminum......as this bike is very lean from the start...You really won't melt stuff but you will start to have engine seal and gasket failures due to the higher heat .....

Old 03-31-2008, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Running without lid & DJ kit per instructions--runs fantastic. I do get kind of droaning sound when highway cruising.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

poping: could be from air getting into the exhaust thru another opening on the pipe, like a seam. Anyone ever use like a wrap or anything? what else could you use to seal it, but not perminantly like with jb weld or something like that. just enough to keep the air out... hummm.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I only removed the snorkel on mine and that made the engine breathe much better......................I do get the occassional pop every now and then when I'm heading down a hill throttle off.
Cheers!

Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I had an impossible time getting the jettingcorrect without the lid and didn't care much for the droning sound on long rides, I run the KDX snorkel and a Uni filter.
I always hear alot of talk about adding the KDX snorkel to the KLX. Funny thing is that KDX riders complain about the same thing with regards to the restrictive airbox. Many KDX owners remove the airbox lid as well. I simply took a holesaw to my KDX lidand made a few openings. My jetting is a nightmare and has been since I bought the bike. This season I'm gonna get it right.

Mike

Quick Reply: WOW, air box lid...