Worried about bike getting stolen

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Default Worried about bike getting stolen

I have been wanting to ride this bike to work really bad, but considering its light weight even if you had the steering wheel lock on the bike 2 people who really wanted the bike could pick it up and put it in the back of a pick up truck. I work at an office complex but I believe I would be worrying too much about my nice little bike sitting out there all alone and defensless[]. We don't have anyone who rides a motorcycle to work in our office complex, so this would be the only bike out there. And the part of town its in is sorta ghetto, its like it starts being ghetto within a 2 mile radius of our office, but the whole street and all the offices that are there are amazingly beautiful and worlds away from the ghetto part. But you have the occasional ghetto person make a shortcut through the parking lot to get to wherever hes going. How do you guys feel whenever you drive this light bike to work, ever worried that you will go out there and not find your bike where you left it. Am I worrying too much lol. I just remember about reading 1 guy over in the KLX 300 forum who had his bike jacked in Europe I believe it was, and he had the handlebar lock on it and the rim lock I believe. But someone snatched it up and drove away with it[:@]

Old 04-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Worried about bike getting stolen

incabiker,

While I would never like to have a bike heisted, I don't hesitate riding it to work every day.

Do I have any special locks or other theft deterrents? Nope. Just take my chances.

One of the things that we don't have to worry about is the KLX250 is NOT a cruiser nor a sportbike - which is what most of the hype is about in the areas you described. If it ain't a 'Busa, they really don't pay much attention to it. The KLX is not a Bling Bling object.

About the only way you help protect a bike is to secure it to something immovable. Use one of those cables to tie it to something securely anchored into the ground. However, when you do that, sometimes the folks will show their displeasure by vandalizing the bike. I know of a fellow that worked in Chicago and took the train to work. He went out and bought a real rust bucket for $200 bucks that took him from his house to the train station - a distance of about 4 miles. One day he came back to find his windshield wipers bent at a 90 degree angle. He felt the reason they were like that is a potential car thief was showing his displeasure about the condition of the car this fellow drove. It wasn't worth stealing, so it was just vandalized.

Of course, a .308 sniper rifle in your office and a clear shot to where your bike is parked will set the stage for potential thieves! Take one out and the word will quickly spread.

I do however keep something with the bike in the garage. It's never been touched!

Name:  TheHuntress.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  75.5 KB

Old 04-22-2006, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I also worried about this, I work at differnt jobs all the time (construction) and depending on the area determins if I ride or drive. Is there something you could chain it to, maybe a tree or light pole?

Old 04-22-2006, 04:17 PM

I was thinking the kinda along the lines of what marty said above, just to leave it without any extra chains or whatnot on it. The reason I was thinking this way is because as soon as you put a chain, etc... on the bike, it automatically calls attention to the bike like "I am so damned rare and expensive that my owner has decided to chain me up, steel me if you dare" seems like this would tempt them to steal it. Ohhh I want to ride to work on this thing, especially now that I have a new pipe everyone will hear my bike on the street, I will still stay clear and make like everyones out to kill me, but at least I will be heard. I actually heard that a loud bike on the street is safer, because it makes it known that you are out on the street.