Wobble at 90 Mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Wobble at 90 Mph

ORIGINAL: tremor38

That said it doesn't take much to make this bike oscillateat high speed. You can induce it with a quick right/left snap on the handle bars at freeway speeds.You may have also noticed that if your clutch action is too jerky a higher speeds you can induce the same thing.
I too have acidentally induced a wobble on the KLX. Very un-nerving.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the vibration near 88 m.p.h. -FLUX! Too funny, now if I could just afford a Mr. Fusion

[IMG]local://upfiles/6858/B162AAAFB0A64B8A8A5A2F7AA50FB92A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-21-2007, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

It's a 250 dual purpose bike .............. it is not designed to do that sort of speed.
If it can do it, it was designed for it. Well, maybe not.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I know air pressure plays an important role on those dual purpose tires - On my Dunlop 606's, just 5 psi± is the difference between white-knuckle vibration and a smooth ride (at high speeds). I prefer lower air pressure in them, you get a little more tread on the road, weight distribution and stability.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

That wobblemight beyour brain, 'cuz anyone who does 90mph on a stock KLX250 has a few screws loose. I'm clinching my sphincter at 60 if there's a cross wind! My guess is it's a combination of the knobby tires and the aero, the bike just wasn't made to go that fast.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

+1 on the motard fender; they make a difference. That said it doesn't take much to make this bike oscillateat high speed. You can induce it with a quick right/left snap on the handle bars at freeway speeds.You may have also noticed that if your clutch action is too jerky a higher speeds you can induce the same thing. One of the projects on my list is a steering dampner, which I think willlessen that effect. I'll give it a thorough evaluation and post results.
Cool Man

Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Bingo! Give that man a cigar...or maybe some vegemite? You could try extending the forks as far as you can in the triple clamp which would improve straight line stability, but degrade responsiveness, so there isreally not much point to it.

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

It's a 250 dual purpose bike .............. it is not designed to do that sort of speed.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vtgreen

That wobblemight beyour brain, 'cuz anyone who does 90mph on a stock KLX250 has a few screws loose. I'm clinching my sphincter at 60 if there's a cross wind! My guess is it's a combination of the knobby tires and the aero, the bike just wasn't made to go that fast.
Basically, a car passed me and I just caught up to him & blew past him for a split second then slowed back down to 70 & hung there. It was on route 77 North between NC & VA. The trucks do 90 down hill there and They were all around me. I got a tiny bit freaked out but I don't think it makes me crazy. It was actually a fun ride up to my drummers house. I can use Rte 52 to get up there and no trucks, 45 mph speed limit most of the way. Also a very fun ride but I was in a hurry to get back home. It was dark for most of the ride but not when I passed the car. I really like this as more of a street machine. I'm willing to mod it to feel comfy at speeds that keep up to traffic.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:12 AM

Steering stabilizer, motard fender, and a set of street oriented tires with the proper air pressure. That should keep things a little more stable. I have had the wobbles at high speeds also and it is unnerving to say the least! I think the tires are one of the biggest culprits causing the instability. Good luck keeping up with those 18 wheelers, I know they can be a scary on any bike!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:15 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan
Basically, a car passed me and I just caught up to him & blew past him for a split second then slowed back down to 70 & hung there. It was on route 77 North between NC & VA. The trucks do 90 down hill there and They were all around me. I got a tiny bit freaked out but I don't think it makes me crazy. It was actually a fun ride up to my drummers house. I can use Rte 52 to get up there and no trucks, 45 mph speed limit most of the way. Also a very fun ride but I was in a hurry to get back home. It was dark for most of the ride but not when I passed the car. I really like this as more of a street machine. I'm willing to mod it to feel comfy at speeds that keep up to traffic.
If you're talking about the stretch of 77 from Fancy Gap on the VA side down the mountian in to NC and Mt Airy I know exactly where you are talking about. Lots of elevation change there, about 2000 ft in about 8 miles or so with all the big trucks on the verge of careening out of control downhill southbound, or moving at a snails pace going up northbound. It gets even more fun when its foggy.

Quick Reply: Wobble at 90 Mph