Wiring up switch in place of key/ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I was about to write that I also think the R and R/W wires must be connected together to have a working tail light/plate light, but you found out anyway. Dan's bike may have some other wiring mods such that the rear light is energized even if the R/W wire is not connected at the ignition.

But all this makes me wonder why in the world they provided a separate contact to switch power to those two lights. That circuit don't get a separate fuse, power for it comes from the same fuse as the headlight. Connecting together the R and R/W wires at the ignition switch won't make a difference, electrically speaking. Thus, why the trouble of a three pole switch? Please enlighten my mind if you can...

Old 06-04-2012, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice job JH! Congrats on your success and for sticking with it.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
First off, I'm very confused on the differences in these switches and my searching of Google and the forums for what switch people used for wiring up the ignition has yielded 3 different results.

S301 NKK Switches | 360-1896-ND | DigiKey

S31 NKK Switches | 360-2083-ND | DigiKey

S32 NKK Switches | 360-2085-ND | DigiKey

One switch is 3PST, another is SPST and the other is 3PDT. I have no idea what the differences are or which one I need to use. Easiest application possible would be nice. I have an 06 klx.

Any idea on the differences in the 3 are in the context of using them on the klx? I know there is a 100 ohm resistor that has to be put inline for the ECU to function properly and actually give spark.

Thanks
ok so I have to resurrect this thred. I am in need of removing my ignition. I have read this thred and have a good understanding of the way it needs to be wired up but I am not sure what kind of 100ohm resistor I need. Will a small 1.5v one work or does it need to be stronger. Also I was wondering what switches you went with and what you did for mounting and stuff. Links to the parts would be awsome if you have um. I was riding a dual sport this weekend and I think the ignition switch died on me. I get no lights no starter nothing when I turn the key on. I was able to bump start it with the ignition on though. So strange. It was working fine then nothing. I want the switch to be durable because I use the bike mostly off road. I had been thinking about removing the key for a while anyway.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM

Oh I will be going with the spst setup. I am hoping someone has a good suggestion for a rugged water proof switch. Potential bar mount would be cool to. Hidden in plain sight tends to confuse the ill intended.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:33 PM

hey just want to know does the resistor come between grey and yellow or between yellow and white please help