Wiring up switch in place of key/ignition

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
Not speaking for the OP, but I've seen at least three reasons a person might want to remove the keyed ignition:
-The position of the OEM key switch interferes with the addition of an aftermarket computer such as the Vapor.
-Slight reduction in weight.
-Change to different upper triple clamp that does not have provisions for the keyed switch.

My reason:

Stock speedo was bashed when I bought the bike and the bike already had an aftermarket headlight on it but the headlight was dimmer than a cold day in hell. Stock speedo is reported to not be very accurate as well.

I replaced the stock speedo with a much more functional and aesthetic speedometer called the Trailtech Vapor. I also picked up their X2 dual sport headlight. Great improvement over what was on my bike and super improvement from stock from what I hear.

There is a abscess on the back of the headlight where it faces the triple clamp not allowing enough room for both a key switch and the Vapor speedo to sit.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine removed for same reason: trailtech Vapor and X2 headlight. The little weight reduction is an added bonus.

Jhoffy - looking forward to seeing yours when complete.

End result it may look something like this (yes, I do use a headlight, thank you):

Name:  0602111109.jpg
Views: 13546
Size:  115.7 KB

Name:  IMG_9535.jpg
Views: 12900
Size:  64.8 KB

Old 06-02-2012, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
OK, so you are not wiring it like it was originally intended. When you do not state that from the beginning, who knows what your doing or not doing.
For that matter, just put in one SPST switch for the lighting circuit, leave the ignition wired. Just use the KILL switch to turn it off & the starter to start it.
And from the looks of your bike, it doesn't have a headlight, so you don't even need one switch!
And further, you are not the original poster, who states he does not know what to do. Your comments are confusing for all others.
Wow, I hate to see someone get bent out of shape like that. So far it looks like everyone is trying to help the OP, and IDRIDR stated from the get go that he is no expert. I'm even less of an expert, but with some help from the great folks on here I got mine to work. Come on, have some patience. durielk I like the kill switch idea, I wish I had thought of it, I can't think of any reason that it wouldn't work. just wire the ignition all up solid and use the kill switch instead of the switch we all have added. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Here is all you need Jhoffy. This is how I did mine. More than one way to skin a cat though.
Dan

Name:  switchremoval.jpg
Views: 16917
Size:  31.7 KB

Last edited by dan888; 06-02-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Dan - that's interesting. I had though that the R & R/W wires would need to be connected with switch "on" position for the lights to work. But you just capped those wires and use only a SPST switch? Are you sure you're not bypassing the lamp fuse? Confused...

Old 06-02-2012, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Dan - that's interesting. I had though that the R & R/W wires would need to be connected with switch "on" position for the lights to work. But you just capped those wires and use only a SPST switch? Are you sure you're not bypassing the lamp fuse? Confused...
I am not sure. I got help from Neilaction ( down under). I sent him this incorrect schematic (below) and he wrote back with corrections that led me to the schematic that I posted above. I have had no issues so far, but if I'm skipping a fuse, that's not good.

Name:  KLXswitch.jpg
Views: 20791
Size:  20.6 KB
Neil Wrote

"Sorry for the delay Dan, been away.

No that isn't right.
The toggle switch needs to be between the brown and the white. This is the main power. The resister is correct but no need to connect it to a switch. Just wire the resistor in. If you're not using the parking lights then just cap em off.

Cheers Neil"

Last edited by dan888; 06-02-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Uh-oh :0

Had a pretty productive day on the bike. Got a hokey mount built for the Vapor and wired in the switch per Dan's handwritten schematic on the previous page. Everything went pretty well, soldered all connections and used heat shrink over top.

There was a little uh-oh though that I can't figure out now. The rear running light is no longer on. I'm not sure if this is a mistake with just capping off the red wires separately or what. That light is supposed to be on and then brighten up when you hit the brakes. It only comes on now when I hit the brakes.

I wonder if it is necessary to work the red wires in rather then just capping them off not connecting to each other or anything else.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I will not say it.....

Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I will not say it.....
No please do

Old 06-03-2012, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

You want to fix it? Put a 3PDT switch in. Then you don't have to spend 4 hours trying to get a mess fixed.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:37 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

we know that will work but i say let jh debug a bit and add another option to the list.

Quick Reply: Wiring up switch in place of key/ignition