Windshield Mod Report

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Default Windshield Mod Report

I mentioned in a post a while back that one of my planned mods was to install a National Cycle Deflector DX windscreen. For those of you planning on burning me at the stake for defiling the God of all that is Green and Holy, keep in mind that my main use of this bike is as a commuter vehicle. I am planning to ride the bike through the relatively mild NC winter, so I am looking for any way possible to stay as close to warm as possible. I gave up trying to look cool a long time ago.

Well, maybe I am getting old (like Deej ), but I think it turned out pretty cool anyway. Check it out.

For anyone that is interested, the shield is available in either gray tinted or clear (I got clear). Either color is also available to fit 7/8" or 1" diameter bars. The screen is available a bunch of places online for around $70 to $80. I got mine at www.mawonline.com. They have the best price, but I realized after the fact that they ding you pretty good for S&H. I would recommend you look elsewhere.

Front shot w/ windshield #1

Front shot w/ windshield #2

Windshield mount pic #1

Windshield mount pic #2

Old 09-20-2006, 06:18 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Windshield Mod Report

I like it, I think it looks good.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff
For those of you planning on burning me at the stake for defiling the God of all that is Green and Holy, keep in mind that my main use of this bike is as a commuter vehicle.
F**K'em! It's your bike, man, you make it uniquely yours and to hell with anyone that thinks you should only do the mods they "approve" of. But there's always one, though, right?

BTW, I like the screen - how easy is it to remove? I can't tell from the pictures but the mount looks like it might remove pretty easily from the handlebar. Thanks for the pics, that is something that I may consider for those longer road trips.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool I like it. How's the angle of attack if ya do a nose dive in sugar sand or a nasty rut....... ya won't decapitate yourself with that shield will ya..... on ADV I've seen several posts about the windscreen being downright dangerous on the BMW 650 Dakars. Just a question....not an attack. Can you take it off easily?

Old 09-20-2006, 07:02 AM

It removes very easily with no tools required. Basically just a spin of the two large ***** next to the handlebar center mount and the whole shebang will lift right out through the front.

As for the angle, that is also readily adjustable. In fact, I am probably going to play with that a little over the next few days to get the right setup for visibility and wind deflection. I just got the shield on this evening, so I have not even ridden with it yet. I imagine that I am going to need to tweak the rake angle to get just the right fit for my height, eye line, etc.

I have heard good things about this particular screen in terms of stability while cruising. I participated very briefly on a forum for owners of the XT225 (I had one for 2 days before trading it on the KLX250S $$ ouch!!). Anyway, there are several folks on that forum that have used this exact screen for their bikes. They modified the bottom edge to conform with the headlight faring (sp?) a little better (which I am considering), but the consensus was that the shield was extremely stable. It sure feels that way on my bike.

It will probably be a day or two before I ride, but I will post a ride report after I do.

Chris

Old 09-20-2006, 07:23 AM

yeah, what brian said. F**k em!

Besides, isn't there some guy on here who is basically using a goat for a seat on his bike?

(Let the Montana date night comments begin....)

Old 09-20-2006, 09:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Looks great

Old 09-20-2006, 02:28 PM

When i read windshield ithought it would look horrible.I sure was wrong it looks great.Had a custom wind vest on a xr 650 and it was pretty ugly,almost looks like yours belongs on are bikes.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

That is truly a blasphemius act! but my spelling is just as bad

I just love this picture!!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Actually, I think it's pretty cool!

Now, how about a cup holder, stereo and cruise control!

Seriously though, it is YOUR bike and you can set it up any way that meets your needs. I personally think it's great that you are using the KLX as a commuter!

Are you planning on coming over to "Tour de Pisgah" in October? It's up in your neck of the woods on October 20 - 22 at the Blueridge Parkway Motorcycle Campground.

Quick Reply: Windshield Mod Report