Wind/Speed Wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Wind/Speed Wobbles

I'm using my KLX as a daily commuter and I'm doing a decent amount of the highway riding but after about 65 miles I'm getting a decent amount of speed wobbles.

I have the proper tire pressure that it calls for on the bike, but any suggestions? Is this fixable, or am I getting to just tough it out?

Any information would be helpful!

Old 07-28-2012, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

suspension adjusted for your weight with your gear by a professional...solved my wiggles...steering damper for going over really rough roads at high speeds...

Old 07-28-2012, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Does it wobble when no vehicles are in front of you? are your tires balanced, especially the front?

Old 07-28-2012, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't forget steering head bearing adjustment.

Otherwise: Balance of tires, condition of tire carcass/tread, trueness of rims, proper sag (front and rear), alignment.

Road surfaces can stimulate a wobble in a bike with a tendency to wobble, but, if the steering head bearings are properly adjusted, the tires are balanced on trued rims, proper sag is set and alignment is good, the road surface won't cause a wobble on it's own.

You DON'T have to "live with it". It's fixable.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't know, B58, some of this is a little inherent on bikes with headlight fairings, handguards, relatively light weight, and a taller center-of-gravity. Now, how much is too much and how much you can improve it does fall under the issues you brought up. I'd also say front tire tread pattern, new or used, can change things too. Even the big KLR650 can give a little of this feedback under the right conditions. But you're right that it's minimized by addressing the listed factors.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I don't know, B58, some of this is a little inherent on bikes with headlight fairings, handguards, relatively light weight, and a taller center-of-gravity.
Come to think of it, I guess I'm so used to riding a KLR or KLX, I forget they wobble a bit at speed. They certainly aren't as stable as my road bikes were!

To address the tendency to wobble at high speed: relax. Stiffening up only makes it worse.

PS: Actually, I thought the OP was just bragging that their bike would go as fast as 65 mph!

Old 07-28-2012, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Don't forget steering head bearing adjustment.

Could you elaborate? I think mine is loose as heck, but i can't seem to feel any slop at all. In other words, I don't feel any play (i.e. like you might when checking an automobile ball joint or tie rod end), but the fork falls easily right or left if you just sit on it and lean it with your legs. Just seems wicked loose to me...

Old 07-28-2012, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Steering damper and/or keeping it under 60 are your best options. Otherwise, purchase a bike intended for triple digit speeds...

Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

After one week of hammering around the streets like a Moto hooligan, enjoying plenty of late hard braking with the new .52 springs. I noticed with the correct ride height again on my bike, the "KLX speed wobble of death" was very noticeable at high speeds....HHHmmm i thought...

Is it the ride height?? Well i had measured about 1/2inch (10mm) excess sag in suspension height & thought i would fit five 1.5inch diameter across stainless steel washers in the pre-load.

Five of these washers stacked measure about 1/2inch (10mm) & sorted out the ride height & got rid of the extra unnecessary sag....GREAT, my forks are now 100% perfect in ride/height/sag/not diving/comfort/racing etc etc BUT to my surprise that 1/2inch (10mm) has almost completely got rid of, the high speed "KLX speed wobble of death".......which makes me double happy!!!

Just goes to show if you f@ck around long enough with all the suspension settings, eventually you will stumble across the perfect stiffness & geometry!!
I wrote the above post on another thread, basically fiddling with height/clickers/stiffness/wheel balancing etc etc will eventually stop the wobbles!! Ok, my bike is the SF (D-Tracker) version but i regularly hit speeds of over 150+kmh (90+mph).

Last edited by JoelThailand; 07-28-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you running knobbies? If you have the original tires on, they will hunt, especially over pavement with uneven surfaces or those line indentations the DOT puts in the pavement for rain or something. My original tire would hunt a lot, and adjusting the air pressure would effect the results.

Quick Reply: Wind/Speed Wobbles