Winches

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Thumbup on the rope and carabiners. Not much to go wrong there and is cheap. I see how to rig a single pulley block to gain "mechanical advantage". How do you rig the 3 carabiners?

And speaking of batteries of which I know even less, here's a 14Ah batt for the KLX, so in theory, a 12Ah winch is doable:
http://www.batterystuff.com/powerspo...14L2-BS12.html

Last edited by klx-vn; 09-02-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Just play around with it at home or look up on the internet "compound pulley mechanical advantage", you'll figure it out right away. Also, not that it matters much in this case, but keep in mind para cord actually stretches a lot. Since you can take it apart and use all the strands for smaller tasks its a great tool but if you want the least resistance in a smaller and lighter package thats 3 times stronger then 550 cord check out Amsteel Blue, its basically synthetic winch line but in para cord diameter. You can buy it online or at boating stores by the foot.

Having tools are great but the best thing you can do, especially if your going alone, is tell someone your general directions or plan and carry gear for survival. I always study my intended routes, the weather forecast and make notes of important things, sources of water, fuel, food, hospitals, so on. That way if something happens I'll at least have an idea of which direction I want to travel. I also carry enough stuff to survive being stranded or hiking out. Remember, surviving is staying alive, not comfortable, so you don't need much. Consider a PLB like a Spot or similar device. Sorry to rant but stay safe!

Old 09-02-2015, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx-vn
... And speaking of batteries of which I know even less, here's a 14Ah batt for the KLX, so in theory, a 12Ah winch is doable:
LiFePO4 Battery | 14ah 12v Lithium Motorcycle / ATV Batteries LFX14L2-BS12
It's not really a 14Ah battery. At the link it states "14 AH PBEq". The PBEq stands for lead acid equivalent. There's a thread on ADV about how that PBEq is a bunch of mumbo jumbo that inflates the capacity by quite a margin.
I believe the non-electrical winch/pulley is the way to go.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
It's not really a 14Ah battery. At the link it states "14 AH PBEq". The PBEq stands for lead acid equivalent. There's a thread on ADV about how that PBEq is a bunch of mumbo jumbo that inflates the capacity by quite a margin.
I believe the non-electrical winch/pulley is the way to go.
Yep...didn't want to get into an argument with him on that technical issue, but your assessment is correct. If a rider used a small winch on a KLX with that battery for anything but a very short "few second" pull, if he was able to get the bike out of whatever pickle it was stuck in, the next issue could well be looking for a jump to start his bike...unless a kickstart was installed. The idea of a winch on a motorcycle should be reserved for a BMW GS and bikes like those that have large, high amp hour batteries. They are also great for ATV/UTV's.

I ride alone a lot in places that are remote and probably won't see other off roaders for days or longer at times. Some of you have seen some of my pics from such trips. I'm fixing to leave for Utah for 2-3 weeks of off roading the KLX, and most all of it will be alone. Instead of a winch I recommend a few-ounce SPOT locator with one of the messages back to home base stating..."Broke down, not hurt, send help". If the bike is that stuck in the mud, the puny battery on a KLX...any battery...isn't going to power a winch enough to pull the bike out. The same applies if the bike has dropped off a ledge down an embankment that you can't ride the bike away from that lower position. I've been in this second situation. Only a huge 4X4 winch on an actual 4-wheeler would have pulled me back up. I was able to hack, drag, and ride my way out from that lower position.

I used to off road with my wife for many years out west in a highly modded K5 Blazer. I had a winch but never had to use it...like someone said...life insurance. All a winch on a KLX will provide is a false sense of security and perhaps more weight to stick the bike in a mud hole...or momentum to run you off a ledge. Not trying to sound mean, but I think it's a bad idea.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I saw this video and thought, "Jeeze, to be able to do that at a cost of 8 pounds and maybe $300 off of Ebay" seems worth looking into.

Aside from the battery rating fudging thing is the rated capacity fudging with winches apparently. Seems they're rated at "line layer" so a 2000lb winch can only really pull close to 1000lb when fully wound.

The Hitchmaster device that was mentioned earlier looks like a clever device but I haven't found any average-joe vids of it being used. The Z-drag method looks good too. Especially the "brake" that you can use... Very nice. Looks like I'll be going with a combo of some synthetic rope and some double pulleys.

Last edited by klx-vn; 09-03-2015 at 06:20 AM.