Will it run on E-85 gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Will it run on E-85 gas?

Has anyone tried running their KLX-250S on E-85 gas? Did you have to do anything to make it work? Did you need to re-jet the carburetor?

Thanks!
Sid

Old 04-26-2006, 06:02 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Will it run on E-85 gas?

I'm interested in this as well. If anyone has any info, please let us know.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:32 AM

First, you'll need to run a lot richer. To the point in which the carb may actually be too large or not provide enough vacuum for the airflow rate. Remember Alcohol contains some of the oxygen needed for complete combustion, so less air is needed. Second, The ignition timing may need to be changed. Possible advanced, I think the ethanol burn a little slower. Otherwise, it should work OK. I know in college I saw 600cc sportbike engines in small open wheel racecars running on E85. They were using custom made fuel injection systems however. I also don't know if the peak cylinder pressure is any different when burning E85. IF so, the compression ratio may need to be lowered or possible raised.

Most flexible fuel cars I've seen are fuel injected, low compression, low output OHV motors in GM SUV's.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:31 PM

E-85 is 85% ethanol. The owner's manual on page 40 states that fuels up to 10% ethanol can be used.

Understand that while these fuels are cheaper, they also require more to be burned to make the same amount of power. While I think this is a step in the right direction, there is still more left in the journey.

I remember when I was helping a friend prep his modified dirt race car to run alcohol. The first step in jetting was to REMOVE the jets from the carb. Then we had to drill the holes out larger so that the carb would flow enough fuel to burn properly. And this was in an engine with 14 to 1 compression. That was methanol not ethanol.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I tried it in my 09 klx 250 today...

Why cause it was $2.85 a gallon and I had to try it...I just had to find out....

Ran great didnt seem to knock and had the same power..But she wouldnt idle....Got so bad I had to hold it at 2k rpms at a stop to keep running..If I tried to lower the idle to 1800 the acr/Icr or whatever it is I think was knocking.....Drained the tank within 8 miles of use......All is well now......Ohhh the fumes coming off the pipe were nasty too...Like a sweet burnt liquor taste....

Rocco

Old 10-03-2008, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

motoguy128 knows this issue pretty well. Ethanol is a different animal than gasoline. The bike won't idle because the air-fuel ratio is not stoichiometric at low speed (Google it). And do but the idea that Ethanol is cheaper - it isn't. The more of it you use the less the fuel economy.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ;36192
What's the point in this anyways? I mean with our small 2 gallon tanks, it only takes a few bucks to put in premium and know you're getting max performance from your gas. E-85 is not that much cheaper, and the money you may save imo isn't worth all the hassle to set the bike up. I personally like Amoco ultimate, you can smell the difference. jmo Travis
+1. What's the point.
I use BP Ultimate in car and bike. 98 RON
They run much better IMHO.
WA says NO tho Ethanol in fuel.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Next someone will be asking about an LPG conversion for the little mean greenie. WTF!

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 10-03-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah...I just did it to do it....

Figured at the worst Id have to do a big bore kit early if something in the motor went bad...................winkwink

Rocco

Quick Reply: Will it run on E-85 gas?