Will a Mikuni TM36 fit a KLX250s?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Will a Mikuni TM36 fit a KLX250s?...

That's interesting. I you're having a problen with a one main jet being too lean while the next step-up is too rich, you can go down or up in partial increments by changing the MAJ (main air jet). A smaller MAJ will richen the mixture while the larger sizes will make it more lean. My TMR-MJN34 came with two additional MAJsizes for that very purpose.

That would be something to look into ifdfferent sizes MAJ's are readily availablefor the TM-33. One size up and one size down from what you have installed would be a good place to start. If thatdoesn't fix it,I guess that means thatthe 34mm barrel isn't the right sizeto accomodate theintake pulsecreated bya 331 or 340cc jug.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey Tremor, where were you 2 weeks ago? What was weird was that a richer main jet only made a bog at 3/4 throttle - ride through that and all was well. I went as rich as a 147.5 main jet before the top-end started to drop off, but I just couldn't take that bog. I'm thinking thatproblem was with the needle taper,because the bog came in right at the transition from the needle to the main jet. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a different needle for the TM-33.

Mooredan, the TM-36 is working well so far. I got my baseline jetting from the web, where those guys were using the carb on XR400's. It turned out to be a shade rich for my 340. Oddly enough, the stock jetting of the carb is right on at my elevation. I'm now running a 130 main jet, 12.5 pilot jet, clip on the needle in the 3rd slot from the top.

Right now, the bottom endsnap is a little soft compared to the TM-33, but midrange and top-end power are excellent. The accelerator pump doesn't come in until nearly 1/4 throttle, but it's starting and ending points are adjustable (just by turning a screw). So next I'll be adjusting it to come in earlier. So far though, the TM-36 is a dream to work on and I'm very satisfied with it.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Ill bet this can be made to work well with our stock bikes. All the higher performance 250s use at least a 37 mm carb, and the Honda uses a 40 (although it is universally accepted that this is WAY too big, and causes some off idle to midrange flatspots). I know they use more airflow by slightly larger/more valves, and much larger cams, but in the big picture, the 36 with a good exhaust, filter, and proper jetting should be perfect. Im going to buy it this winter, and see how it goes.Spring will see!!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

A while back someone posted a pic of a D-Tracker and it was running an FCR39 in it.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:14 AM
1st Gear Member

The KX250F has a FCR37 on it

Old 07-16-2007, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, I see. I misinterpreted the condition as a WOT problem. I have heard of people going to a different needle on the TM-33 to remedy the lack of top-end pull, but I'm not sure if it was for the specific problem you are having.

Glad to hear the 36 is working for you. I don't think you'll completely recoup your low-end from listening to others who own it, but I think you will like it better over-all.

ORIGINAL: mustang

Hey Tremor, where were you 2 weeks ago? What was weird was that a richer main jet only made a bog at 3/4 throttle - ride through that and all was well. I went as rich as a 147.5 main jet before the top-end started to drop off, but I just couldn't take that bog. I'm thinking thatproblem was with the needle taper,because the bog came in right at the transition from the needle to the main jet. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a different needle for the TM-33.

Mooredan, the TM-36 is working well so far. I got my baseline jetting from the web, where those guys were using the carb on XR400's. It turned out to be a shade rich for my 340. Oddly enough, the stock jetting of the carb is right on at my elevation. I'm now running a 130 main jet, 12.5 pilot jet, clip on the needle in the 3rd slot from the top.

Right now, the bottom endsnap is a little soft compared to the TM-33, but midrange and top-end power are excellent. The accelerator pump doesn't come in until nearly 1/4 throttle, but it's starting and ending points are adjustable (just by turning a screw). So next I'll be adjusting it to come in earlier. So far though, the TM-36 is a dream to work on and I'm very satisfied with it.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Here's a tuning update. On Saturday, I installed a new plug to do a plug check with my current jetting: 130 main jet, 12.5 pilot jet, clip on needle in 3rd slot, air/fuel screw 2 turns out, airbox lid off.I didn't do a plug chop, but I put about 10 miles on in a variety of conditions. The plug was a light to medium brown - good enough for me. I wasn't experiencing any jetting issues (except for some minor decel popping), but the bottom-end felt sort of soft compared to the TM33. The bike was a rocket in the midrange and top-end though.

The Mikuni tuning manual for the carb says that the accelerator pump should come in at about 1/4 throttle and shut off at 2/3 throttle. The accelerator pump on the TM33 came in right off idle, so I setthis oneto start there as well. I idled around in 2nd gear and then whacked the throttle open - a huge bog followed by a 2-stroke-like hit! That was fun, but not what I wanted. I started backing off the accelerator pump 1 turn at a time, to make it come it later. Each turn, the bog got less and the bottom-end power felt stronger. I eliminated the bog with the accelerator pump coming in at about 1/8 throttle.Once the bog was gone, bottom-end felt just as strong as the TM-33 (at least to my untrained butt). The difference is that midrange ismuch stronger now, so the bike just flat-out pulls! Next, I played with when the accelerator pump shuts off. Best throttle response was acheived when the accelerator pump stopped pumping at 3/4 throttle. Any later than that caused a rich condition.

So there you have it. I've got the carb jetted right now, and the bike runs better than ever. Time to put some miles on...

Old 07-16-2007, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Good post, before I had my tank snafu thats just about what mine was doing, when I get my new tank that's where all start.

Kevin

Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kgwld1

Good post, before I had my tank snafu thats just about what mine was doing, when I get my new tank that's where all start.

Kevin
Remember that the throttle wheel of the TM-36 will hit the Clarke tank. You have to do a bit of grinding off the top of the wheel to get it to clear. I ground mine down to 1/16"above the throttle spring pegs. You don't use the top part of the throttle wheel anyway (except to anchor the throttle spring), so it's not a big deal. The stock throttle wheel is available separately (I checked before I started grinding ), so if you do mess it up, all is not lost.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Found some info on the TM36-68 here:
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Mikun...30223185115991

Quick Reply: Will a Mikuni TM36 fit a KLX250s?...