will I regret buying the klx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: will I regret buying the klx?

Nice!!, I had that happen to me although it wasn't about bikes. I was 4 hrs from home visiting my Aunt and Uncle and anyway I was doing donuts inan emptysnow covered parking lot in my first car (71 Firebird) in 1982, and a cop stopped me and I realized that I forgot my wallet, but I had memorized my drivers license number and gave it to him, and he came back and said, so you're from Forks WA huh? I said yea, he said that he went fishing up there every year and before I knew it we were swapping fish stories and what rivers we had been at and he sent me on me way. Talk about a coincidence. And I am a firm believer in the wave of good faith to any and all law enforcement. You never know, especially in my small town neck of the woods.[8D]

Old 02-28-2008, 05:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

Just show your buddy the below video, okay it's a Yamaha but the concept is the same. Oh and you will need to do the mods on the KLX to bring it "alive"!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r_Qca6d5rPs
Really good "vid". it REALLY makes the point for the dual sport doesn't it?
Thanks for posting it!! It would have been really cool in GREEN.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 PM

Just to give everyone a visual of that day Mike was talking about. Starting from the left, Mike(DirtRider), BobbaGanooshand Nate

[IMG]local://upfiles/8571/A236F17C32AC4D378A47618F4107F665.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

now that looks like a day of fun right there.....

Old 03-01-2008, 02:05 AM

I've had one for almost 2 years now, and have used it for everything from commuting to work to running errands, trailriding, exploring dirt roads and fire roads, etc. I have two offices, both about a half hour away. Windy 2 lane roads with traffic going typically 60-75mph. My klx is stock except for Moose bars and a 120 width rear Dunlop 606. It will hold 70 mph with my 185lb butt on it, and can be coaxed to 80. I've had several other bikes: cb100, cb360, 750f, and v45 Hondas, a Buell S1 White Lightning, Ducati Alazzura650, V-Max...well, you get the idea. My other bike currently is a Buell Ulysses. I commute on the Buell now,due to the heated grips and waterproof hard luggage. The KLX's biggest limitation is going on long rides on open highway-you won't like it as much then! On the KLX, I use a small pelican case on the rack, and a good knapsack/computer bag with lots of pockets. My notebook pc, some charts, wallet, phone etc, pistol (I have a CCW and like to go to the gun range at lunchtime somedays ;-) allgo in the bag. The KLX is a blast to ride through town, with a green MX style helmet and black mesh/pad jacket in hot weather. I find lots of fun shortcuts, too! Light and agile, can slide it sideways into parking spots, gets 60mpg even when thrashing it. It isn't very fast compared to more powerful bikes. It is however plush and forgiving and sometimes more fun and lessstressful. I can scream it through a few gears and be having fun, and realize I've managed to get 5 mph over the speed limit. Try that on a Ducati or Buell....or any Japanese sportbike. You'll be going lots faster and realize you cannot do this all the time or risk either death or tickets!I have a cabin that is about 11 miles into the woods off pavement, and the "county road" sometimes looks more like a jeep trail. Well, on the KLX that's just perfect fun! Can't eventake a regular road bike there though. It's about as hammer-reliable and easy to take care of as any bike I've had.I owe the KLX my life, too-had someone in a pickup truck blow a corner wide from oncoming traffic at night, doing way over the speed limit (maybe 70 or 80?) and crossed completely over into my lane to the white line, in about an instant. I rode the edge of a ditch and into someone's yard as I saw him do this, and never got close to dumping it. Almost certainly would have on a roadbike due to the gravel, dirt, and wet grass. When my heart quit thumping, I realized that a heavier bike wouldn't have been so easy to whip off the road that quickly either. The whole incident took maybe 5 seconds? Guy in the truck never even tapped his brakes, btw, 'cause I looked back when I cleared the ditch and knew I was OK.
Well, it's late and my Jagermeister is getting warm...good luck with whatever you do get!
doc

Old 03-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Wow a doc on a dual purpose you dont here that to often. Thats pretty cool. Any way wow good thing you were on the klx then other wise you probably wouldnt be here today. It seems like it could really save your butt in a lot of situations. I cant wait to get on it and do some exploring my self. I bet driving that jag is pretty nice to huh?