will I regret buying the klx?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:28 AM
Default will I regret buying the klx?

I have a buddy at work, we call him street bike matt. Any way I tell street bike matt about the klx I am purchasing and he tells me that it is a terrible idea for a second vehicle and that I will regret it, so I am like how would I regret being able to ride my dirt bike to work? Thats awesome. I see nothing but advantages with this investment. I only work 15 min from the house and a little of that is freeway driving but the rest is on post where you cant go over 40. So I think it should be fine for the every day commute, specialy finding trails and stuff on the way, maybe even a few jumps. I plan on taking it off road atleast 4 times a week I love riding. does any one think I might regret this future investment

Old 02-27-2008, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: will I regret buying the klx?

My present commute is 16 miles one way, most of it is 55mph 2 lane and the KLX is just fine for that. It's actually quite fun, from a stop you can zip up to 60 quicker than a lot of cars on the road and its light and flickable in the corners. Streetbike Matt sounds like the stereotypical "biker" that the manufacturers think of when they import their bikes. If its under a 600 its no good and it will be outgrown soon.

This has nothing in common with the KX250F so don't let the KLX name fool you, its a sub 20 hp dual sport. It will run on the road and it will run on the trails but the stock suspension isn't really up to jumping it. The stock gearing is a tad tall too for tighter trails and if you don't do a few mods to it 6th gear is too tall for anything but flat pavement. Unless you are talking about the 2009, in which case 6th is no longer an overdrive gear.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Just show your buddy the below video, okay it's a Yamaha but the concept is the same. Oh and you will need to do the mods on the KLX to bring it "alive"!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r_Qca6d5rPs

Old 02-27-2008, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, that video madee me want to get one. But first I have to move to Africa...

Old 02-27-2008, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Hard to tell if you'll regret the KLX...

You can go anywhere "streetbike matt" goes, he can't follow you to all the places the KLX will end up taking you.

Out of the box, the bike is underpowered and undersprung. It doesn't take much to wake it up, and all of the tips and tricks are right here on the forum. It's a fun little bike, and a great commuter. I don't think it belongs on the freeway because of it's shortfall in the powerband, but that's just me.

If the dealer will allow it, take a test ride before you buy.

Stay safe, and thank-you for serving.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Do I regret a lifetime of eating all that mayonnaise, or a steady diet of bacon and chips? Perhaps. One thing I know I will never regret and that's buying the KLX!! You will have a smile on your face that will rival any lottery winner. Come on man bite the bullet and we'll talk you through the rest.[8D][8D][8D]

Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I do not use my bike to get to work , but I ride it 5- 20 min to get to the trail. For that type of street riding my new klx250s is fine. I think its a great bike, I've done what they call the free mods to get some more power out of it. I the woods I can keep up to the 400 ds bikes. I have the bike a few months now and still come home with abig smile on my face. As long as your not on the freeway for long miles you will lovw this bike

Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

everyone i ride with is 400cc's and up... i keep up fine in the woods... Do i reget buying the klx....NO!... but looking back i wish i would have gotten one used so as not to spend so much, but when i got mine they just came out and there were no used ones.... but now there are used ones out there... I love my bike, do not regret it at all... i love being able to climb hills that the bigger bikes either spin on or the front wheel starts lifting and they have a hard time getting them up the hills... the little klx scoots right up the hills great...

oops.....
Name:  wellsville8.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  123.6 KB

Name:  wellsville6.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  132.6 KB

pretty steep
Name:  wellsville7.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  140.4 KB

Name:  wellsville2.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  147.2 KB

great times.....

Old 02-27-2008, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

The little KLX-250S isn' the best ride for someone wanting to ride to all the National Parks this summer. Neither is "street bike matt's" (SBM) 600cc super sport.

For sheer fun on mixed roads and trails, the KLX is a great ride. Can SBM ride over speed bumps at 35MPH? I have. Can SBM ride from asphalt, to dirt roads, to "no road" out the the other side to asphalt again? Deep sand in a desert wash gives the little 250cc motor a hard time but, SBM will never know that because the only way he's getting there is by walking.

For daily commutes at a nominal 45MPH, the KLX-250S is a great choice. It is lightweight and nimble as can be which makes it a joy t ride.

As SBM what his insurance costs. My KLX insurance was 10% the cost of a 600cc super sport. My back likes the upright seating of the KLX better then a super sporttoo.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, don't buy it, whatever you do! Your buddy is right. This forum, and the gazillion happy KLX riders who inhabit it,is just an elaborate ruse. Once you buy the bike, we all go to our 'secret' from and laugh about it

Man you're gonna love this bike. Your bud is on crack!

Quick Reply: will I regret buying the klx?