WHY IT'S ONLY A 250

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: WHY IT'S ONLY A 250

shaydara....what kinda prospecting do ya do....sounds like fun.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I guess my problem was the first bike in years I had was a brand new 2005 636 ninja. More power than I'd ever need or want. So the KLX is in need. I throttle her to the max all the time. Butmy ninja had trouble writing all over it... I brought the klx as away to ride and still be able to have a license. Just want alittle more power. The speeds of a 100 km/h is fine. Beside the major highways are no place for the KLX. She roles the back road and I like that type of riding. You're all right. Skill are more important than power. Just alittle is whatI want. It should have been a 331 cc with a pumper carb and I think it would have been a major seller in that form. That seams to be what makes most KLX owners happy.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Finger Mullet

shaydara....what kinda prospecting do ya do....sounds like fun.
I think he's looking for some of that Austrailian gold.[sm=bling.gif]

Old 01-14-2008, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I love my KLX, I'll ride it until I'm dead.
+1 Deej............
I love my KLX!
Guess I knew what I was buying 2 years ago. I knew it wasn't a 450. I also knew from my 35+ years of riding experience That the 4 stroke 250 I was buying was exactly that, a 4 stroke 250. Not a 250cc 2 stroke MX, or a 450 stroke. The KLX250S isa wonderful bike, even in the stock mode and better when un-corked. I myself wonder why so many have go to such lenghts and expense toinstall big-bore kits, carbs, cams ect and very high expensein an attempt to make it a 450 or something more than what it really is, a great 250cc 4 stroke dual purpose bike.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll comment.
The KLX is agood, all around, meets many purposes bike. I personally was looking for a trail bike that I could license. Handleing was more of an issue for me than power. There are very very few bikes that make the street / trail transition acceptiblely(is that a word?).
I went for the suspension upgrades first, mainly to satisfy my trail handleing wants. Now that I have it the way that I want that, now I'm boosting the power a little. But don't think that a little boost in power makes it a MXer.

That's what most guys think they want, but in reality it's not.

My son's KX250 is absolutley no fun to ride for me for more than 10 minutes. It has big power, ..... so much so that if you ride it like it's made to ride, your arms will be crying out for mercy just from hanging on. Also the suspension is set up for the track, not trails. It makes it difficult to ride in tight stuff.

On the other side of the coin is the street rideability. It kind of goes without saying that most of your street bikes are way more cushy, comfortable, and highway friendly than the KLX. But the KLX is capable of commuting, and several guys are useing it for that.

So, why do we buy a KLX and then comence to "upgrading" it. For me it's because it is such a great starting place with "both world capabilities". Some are perfectly content with the KLX it stock form. With me, I just have to be tinkering on something through the winter months, and the KLX is a great work in progress!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DJFields

ORIGINAL: deej

I love my KLX, I'll ride it until I'm dead.
+1 Deej............
I love my KLX!
Guess I knew what I was buying 2 years ago. I knew it wasn't a 450. I also knew from my 35+ years of riding experience That the 4 stroke 250 I was buying was exactly that, a 4 stroke 250. Not a 250cc 2 stroke MX, or a 450 stroke. The KLX250S isa wonderful bike, even in the stock mode and better when un-corked. I myself wonder why so many have go to such lenghts and expense toinstall big-bore kits, carbs, cams ect and very high expensein an attempt to make it a 450 or something more than what it really is, a great 250cc 4 stroke dual purpose bike.
Actually it's not trying to make a 250 into a 450 its making a 250 engine into all it can be. Or all it can be with your budget.It's a disease you get if you raced when you were younger or your buddy is just a bit faster. It's incurable and highly contagious.Plus I justcan't leave things alone.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 PM

VFRpilot, what exactly did ya do to your suspension. Im thinking of a few upgrades and Im interested in what brands/products you went with.

OlGuy.........Im the same way. Im always having to screw with something, and I dont think Ive EVER had a vehicle that wasnt modified in some fashion. Its half the fun for me, and yes it's incureable!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

The best mod you can do to your 250 is get a riding buddy that more experienced than you.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4SEVEN3

VFRpilot, what exactly did ya do to your suspension. Im thinking of a few upgrades and Im interested in what brands/products you went with.

OlGuy.........Im the same way. Im always having to screw with something, and I dont think Ive EVER had a vehicle that wasnt modified in some fashion. Its half the fun for me, and yes it's incureable!
I sent the front forks and rear shock to MotoPro. They resprung both for my weight, and installed a valveing kit to coincide with my riding conditions and style. After two long conversations with them on how and where I ride, I have to say that they set it up spot on. This bike feels and handles totally different.
I can't say what I will think after I install the KK 331 kit. but up to this point, with free mods, full exhaust, pumper carb,gearing change, and goodies to numerous to mention, the suspension made the biggest difference with the bike thus far.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

vfr, I priced valving kits and they were surprisingly more expensive than I thought, and I have no idea what they do in relation to the suspension...what do they do exactly? I am ordering new springs minus the valving kit because I have no idea what replacing the valving kit would do..your thoughts?

Quick Reply: WHY IT'S ONLY A 250