WHY IT'S ONLY A 250

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default WHY IT'S ONLY A 250

I don't understand why when You want to upgrade your KLX reaction is always it's only a 250, Get a bigger bike. I brought the bike I wanted. We all have different idea's, different riding styles and that want makes life great. Because of this the aftermarket as giving just alot of options. I want to thank all for positive and negative feed back. There's only about two or three KLX in my area so you're my support group. I think we all wish we had that hard hitting off-road fcr carbed engine with light weight frame. That would power wheelie at will. Thethread have help me as well as others. The only problem is I'm now a confused KLX owner.

Basic mods are done. No lid, dyno jet kit, slip-on, protaper bars. I wanted to do the engine and add a pumper carb. The tm36-68 looks like it fits the best. Likebigger fuel tank. But which mods are worth it. I've been told time and time again get a KTM. If I want a KTMI'd be on that site looking for help. Please help a confuse KLX owner out.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: WHY IT'S ONLY A 250

Yes, its only a 250cc. But it does have some advantage to it. Its less likely to throw you on your back if you screw up. Better MPG for the ride, even better with a bigger gas tank. It maybe only a 250cc, but I pick the road to ride and not the other way around (either be dirt or pavement). I can easily haress the engine all day, every day, and it doesn't break down easily. I can make the KLX do what I want it do, when I need it to do it in the tightest of turns.

So what if it lacks accleration and top speed. Get a pavement queen, those bikes were meant for the asphlet. The KLX is built to go on-road to off-road and back to on-road again. Never stuck on one-side. And the KLX is just at home in the city as it is in the wood's trails.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

+1

Old 01-13-2008, 05:35 AM

I'll help you out. I have a KLX and a KTM and a few other bikes as well. I picked the KLX for a specific reason, to ride it toand explore tight trails and to ride in the woods with my kids. In my opinion it can't be beat in this area. It has plenty of power to climb any hill, great ground clearance, extremely reliable, very forgiving when you get in a tough situation. The bike is so easy to ride without being intimidating. It's a great trail bike.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I love my KLX, I'll ride it until I'm dead.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:19 PM

Leave the engine alone for now. There's a lot more bolt-on goodies to be had for minimum cost compaired to other bikes. Get seat-time. All the power in the world wont make you any faster, technique and ability makes ya faster.

Try to engineer something for it, maybe draw out a idea for a cool accessory.

Suspension......have ya thought of the ride? Maybe some springs or revalve is in order? Again......power is no good without a good suspension set-up. Combined with technique mentioned above youll go places quicker and in more comfort.

Ride it for what it is. Gain expirence, THEN get something bigger....if your KLX is paid for already keep it and have the best of both worlds. Thats my plan anyways.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd like to know what "technique and ability" I need to work on so the bike doesn't slow to 50mph on those long uphills?
Here all this time I've been throwing money at this thing only to find out that it's not the bike; it's me.

Even for a novice rider (and slimanlyman may be on the pro ciruit for all I know) this little 250 could use a boost in the power department, my wife (a novice) even thinks it's a tad on the anemic side, I'm just getting up the nerve to tear the jug and piston out of this relatively new machine and the nice part is that even with the 331cc kit and pumper the bike will retain its mild manners.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

my best two mods are the stock klx300 boreparts, and clarke gas tank. Also putting a 45 tooth on the rear. that gave me just enough off road without taking away from street and able to keep the stock 14 tooth up front. I can now go up long hills and actually gain speed easily. Oh 3 things, the pipe is a must.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I'd like to know what "technique and ability" I need to work on so the bike doesn't slow to 50mph on those long uphills?
Here all this time I've been throwing money at this thing only to find out that it's not the bike; it's me.
Man it's all in how you crouch behind the tiny light cover, swing you clutch arm behind your back!

I was referring to dirt skills more than anything else (BTW I have non of right now! so I need mucho work myself) Im also still in streetbike mode where power isnt a issue, to go faster in the corners it's all about your skills and suspension set-up.

Carry on!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought the KLX to go prospecting on and to trail ride. While the tank size is small and the seat isnt the best for long rides, I made the right choice for what I intended the KLX would do. It gets me to where I need to go, andI have fun along the way , 100kms an hour is all I need on the road and it does that fairly easy in stock form, the only mod I have done is take the snorkel off the air box. I get about 200 to 220 out of each tank of fuel which is ok for around town and short range rides so I will be going for the bigger tank for sure as I do travel long distances when I go prospecting. Yea she does lack in power in stock form but I have a friend that has moded his with a pipe, carb mod, sprocket change and the air box mod and gets about 140kms per tank compared to my 200kms. Yea hes a little faster but I can go further . I have been down some dry stoney creek beds and while it is a difficult ride the KLX does a good job. The thing I like most about the KLX is its just so much fun to ride!
Cheers!

Quick Reply: WHY IT'S ONLY A 250