Why doesn't my low fuel light go on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
I guess I'm just concerned about this motor stutter thing. I'm not convinced that it's a low fuel thing yet. Also the fact that the manual says a light should come on, and it doesn't. I really don't want to be sitting in the median turn area waiting to pull onto a 2 lane highway with a speed limit of 70mph, with blind hills, and have to worry about motor stutter because I've used a single gallon of gas. That's only 3/4 of the "main" tank. I'll find out soon enough when it kicks in. If it's before 50 miles I'm calling the dealer I got it from.

You keep speaking of 'main' and 'reserve' as if they are separate tanks....they are not.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i know on the 06-07 there is no light, not even a spot for one... just turn signals, neutral, temp.... is there one for the 09? and for a light to come on when the fuel was low there would have to be some sort of sensor, sending unit something... so who has had the 09 tank off.... is there any kind of elec wires coming off of the tank anywhere? i doubt it....

Old 08-01-2008, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont even know if there is one for the 09 or not,, there is a spot but I read the owners manual, and I didnt see it but maybe I missed it. Ill have to look into that

Old 08-01-2008, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
You keep speaking of 'main' and 'reserve' as if they are separate tanks....they are not.
I know, but there is a main and reserve switch. If my bike starts stuttering after waaay less than 1.5 gallons have been used (which is where it will die when switched on MAIN, then that really sucks. I don't want to have to ride a half gallons worth on main under a stuttering fuel starved motor. Shouldn't it start really doing that around 1.5 gallons used?

It's just really annoying riding around with the motor cutting in and out when I've traveled less then 50 miles. Maybe it was more than that, I really filled up a lot last time, and I'll pay closer attention this time around.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRock420
I dont even know if there is one for the 09 or not,, there is a spot but I read the owners manual, and I didnt see it but maybe I missed it. Ill have to look into that
I think I may have figured this out. On page 22, meter instrument "D" is where the fuel warning message should appear. On page 24 it mentions the fuel warning message, but on neither page is an actual picture of what it looks like.

Maybe after you've used enough fuel, you have to press the "mode" button, and a fuel warning message will appear. Though in their picture of the LCD there doesn't appear to be markings for that symbol, whatever it may be.

I hate crappy manuals. They say RTFM, and I do, and people are wondering what the hell I'm even talking about.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

The manual for the '09 says a FUEL light will come on in the odometer location on the instrument panel... I've never ran mine to reserve so I've never came to the opportunity to see it. However, if I were a betting man, I would say it probably only comes on in ODOMETER mode as opposed to the TRIP A/B modes.

I have, however, took off with the gas switch OFF and it spits and sputters and jerks until you realize DOH! and turn the gas on, so if it does that for the gas being off, I'ma assume mine would do the same if you ran it out of gas.

FWIW: I get a consistant 80 MPG, completely stock, all roads / fire breaks. It goes down when I trail ride (obviously).

Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I always have my trip-meter on, never the regular odometer. After riding "pre-fuel gauged" motorcycles, you learn to rely on the trip-meter. I didn't realize my bike could have a low fuel warning. Thats cool for a dirt bike. By the way, I'm getting around 75 miles per gallon, and run super-unleaded because of the high compression ratio and the intense heat here in the Florida summer.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

There is no fuel warning light on the 09s. I popped the tank off yesterday and there's no sensor on it.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PeteNFla
I always have my trip-meter on, never the regular odometer. After riding "pre-fuel gauged" motorcycles, you learn to rely on the trip-meter. .
I'm the same, I leave it on TripA and reset it every fill-up. Even then, I still pop the cap and give the bike a shake just to make sure of what I've got

Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpaul310
There is no fuel warning light on the 09s. I popped the tank off yesterday and there's no sensor on it.
Thanks. Now since I can't go by the manual for reliable information, besides here, where can I find a service manual for the 2009?

Quick Reply: Why doesn't my low fuel light go on?