Why doesn't my low fuel light go on?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Why doesn't my low fuel light go on?

Engine died at 70mph today. I've rode 111 miles since last tank fill. I eyeballed it and I'm pretty sure I didn't overfill. A stronger chance that I underfilled. Switched to reserve and all was well for the last mile home.

I still have the engine stutter issue. And that was with a full tank.

I was the impression that this bike came with a low fuel warning light. I've got a whole week under my belt as far as knowledge and ability goes. I'm pretty sure the manual says that when the low fuel light comes on, switch to reserve and you'll have about a half gallon left before you're totally screwed. Does the tank hold 1.9 gallons AND the half gallon reserve? Or is the 1.9 gallons include the half gallon reserve, effectively making this a 1.4 gallon tank? As you can see, I'm totally a newcomer to this...

Does the light only come on when you've nearly depleted the reserve tank? Besides a fuel screw mod, what can fix this millisecond long engine stutter that only seems to happen on the highway?

Thanks guys!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

i have stalled a few times no light ever comes on. the 2 gal tank includes the reserve.

i know when i hit between 80-90 miles just switch to the reserve and head to a gas station

Old 07-31-2008, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TUCAZ520
i have stalled a few times no light ever comes on. the 2 gal tank includes the reserve.

i know when i hit between 80-90 miles just switch to the reserve and head to a gas station
Wow that blows. Is that how all tank gallon ratings work? If I see a site and it says the capacity is 3 gallons or whatever, that includes the reserve?

I think the light should come on...I really don't want to stall out crossing the highway medians here in TX. A car t-boning me at 65mph won't be pretty.

At least I'm getting 58 mpg.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Great friggin point....

My bike chugs around 90-95miles...Yesterday and Im not lying....My biggest longest fastest turn on my way home 60-65mph and the bike choked out and stalled just before I switched it over..Turning right and reaching to the left for the switch....Scary...Great tip....Switch it early...

F1

Old 07-31-2008, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

just gotta get used to keeping an eye on the odometer.

make sure you reset the trip meter at every fill up.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

But I want a fuel light, and I want it NNOOOOWWW!!

But seriously...my stall at 111 miles means that I got about 58 mpg. If my reserve holds half a gallon that means I've got about 30 miles if I go easy and slow down to 55mph instead of 70mph.

These stats are all directly in line with the 140 mile estimated range on the bike.

I can't remember where but there was a guy saying it was well documented on advrider that this bike has big problems with mpg. Not for me....

What would a slip on, dynojet kit, and airbox lid removal do for my mpg? Drop by 5 or so? I don't intend to go to a 13t sprocket yet as I need my highway speeds, the speed limit at the end of my driveway is 70mph!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Agreed. These bikes just stop when out of gas they don't give any warning. No sputtering no nothing, just stop. Find the range for your bike and like TUCAZ said monitor that odometer that IS your gas guage.

je2000 are you sure you're only getting 58 mpg? What type of riding are you doing? Does that figure include off-road riding or just street?

Mike

Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
Agreed. These bikes just stop when out of gas they don't give any warning. No sputtering no nothing, just stop. Find the range for your bike and like TUCAZ said monitor that odometer that IS your gas guage.

je2000 are you sure you're only getting 58 mpg? What type of riding are you doing? Does that figure include off-road riding or just street?

Mike
I weigh 200lbs naked...maybe 215 or so with helmet, jacket, boots, gloves, pants.

Mostly street riding in 35mph residential, but I was doing maybe 45-50. Did some really ****ty back roads and some actual dirt/grass around the backyard. I'm just having fun learning a manual transmission, pretending I'm on a MotoGP circuit.

Depending on time of day, I literally have to accelerate quickly to 70 mph right as I exit my driveway. One day I will try and stick to the highway and I'll report back on when I hit 100 miles. I don't have my license yet so I'm sticking close to home and to back roads. Trying to keep off the main roads as much as possible.

EDIT: Also, I've been putting 87 octane fuel in the tank. I JUST saw that the manual said 91. Could've sworn I saw 87 was reccomended in the manual somewhere near the beginning. What do you guys use?

Last edited by je2000; 07-31-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Good arguments to upgrade the tank...
I've run out of gas several times with my stock CVK carb and it gave me lots of warning.
Small hesitations, then large ones, then big surges, then death.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
But I want a fuel light, and I want it NNOOOOWWW!!

But seriously...my stall at 111 miles means that I got about 58 mpg. If my reserve holds half a gallon that means I've got about 30 miles if I go easy and slow down to 55mph instead of 70mph.

These stats are all directly in line with the 140 mile estimated range on the bike.

I can't remember where but there was a guy saying it was well documented on advrider that this bike has big problems with mpg. Not for me....

What would a slip on, dynojet kit, and airbox lid removal do for my mpg? Drop by 5 or so? I don't intend to go to a 13t sprocket yet as I need my highway speeds, the speed limit at the end of my driveway is 70mph!
I'm getting 70MPG street riding . Look at my mods. I'm still running a tad rich as well.
Check your math. If you got 111 miles on the main tank only, that's 5.5 litres (07 model), or 1.45 gallons. That's 76MPG in my books. Don't complain about that.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't my low fuel light go on?