Why do OEM Tire suck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Why do OEM Tire suck?

Hi there!

As a new owner of the KLX 250 09, I wonder why everybody say that the original tires suck? I never tried other brand yet...

bye
ERic

Old 07-31-2009, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Never have. Still running the stock D603 on the front. Great as a 50/50 tyre. I'll get a D908F when she's gone. Liked the D603 rear as a 50/50 tyre it's just, the D606 is better in all areas, but not for the stock KLX due to increased weight and size (120/.)

Old 07-31-2009, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

If you've never tried any others you don't have another point of reference, so you don't know how bad they are. Nodody said they're bad street tires, just not good on rough off road trails.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
If you've never tried any others you don't have another point of reference, so you don't know how bad they are.
Some of us have a few years riding under our belt and know what makes a good tyre from a bad one.

Using your logic, you won't know what tyre to use until you have tried them all on the KLX?
Good look with that one.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

The D605's which come on the '09's aren't great but they're not too bad either. I've taken mine into some helacious stuff and they've "almost" always gotten me through. Actually, if I hadn't drowned out my carb on a couple of occasions, they would have always gotten me through! I will replace the D605's with D606's after this season, but they have done alright by me so far. I didn't see them as a place to put my money right off the bat. I wanted all the other stuff first...

Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Just FYI the D603 is not the D605. The D605 is "softer" than the 603 and the 603 is OE only. It's very hard to buy them.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default oem

they are fine for the street. terrible on wet damp red clay

Old 07-31-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

everywhere the MFG can save they will....... you get what you pay for. Ive found its pretty much the same with new cars and trucks.
I got about 2k miles out of mine, then I found some better tread patterns for what I like to do.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

The stock rear tire is pretty bad. It all depends on how ambitious you get with the bike though. The stocker has left me 'huffin and puffin' on some serious steep mountain climbs. The tire just spun under the weight of the KLX and wouldn't hook up.
After that experience I put on a TrackMaster II but it sucked on the street so I threw that tire on my KDX after about 100 miles. I then bought a Bridgestone Trail Wing which was a decent tire until it hit the wet stuff and was completely paralyzed. Then I put on a Pirelli Scorpion XCMH 110/100 and it's been an absolute dream. Decent for the street and very good for off road. I've been thrilled with the performance of the tire all around. Not so happy with the XCMH front tire but the rear is excellent for sure.

M

Old 07-31-2009, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

The manufactures have a tough call they don't know how your going to use your bike so in addition to cost they select a tire that can do everything, but as a consequence, nothing particularly well. I found the stock 605's OK on the street and fair on gravel covered dirt roads. In mud and soft dirt they totally sucked. For the terrain I ride on around here (mostly hard packed dirt, rocks, and gravel covered rocky hard packed dirt roads, the Pirelli MT-21's work well. In general tires that grip really good wear faster so if you want "gription" be prepared to spend more money in terms of initial cost and more frequent replacement.

Quick Reply: Why do OEM Tire suck?