Why do my hands hurt? Bad handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Why do my hands hurt? Bad handlebars?

Yesterday I rode to the IMS motorcycle show in Phoenix (pretty big let down but, that's another story). This was about 150 miles each way for me mainly on I-10. I'm running a 46 tooth rear sprocket so, the RPMs were up about 500 extra RPM from stock gearing. I'm also using ProTaper SE KX High handle bars so, I don't have the handlebar buzz the factory bars gave me. Most of the time I was running a true 65MPH (70 indicated) at ~7K RPMs. I wear ICON brands gloves when I ride on the street in warm weather.

On the ride to the show, my thumb and first two fingers hurt. At first I though maybe I was gripping the handlebar too tightly but I wasn't exerting that much pressure (definitely no "death" grip). On the ride back, I tried to keep those fingers totally relaxed and over stressed my pinky and the finger next to it. I also noticed my wrist hurt as I waited for someone to pull up beside me in the left turn lane as I watched the light cycle over and over without activating the left turn lane light.

Do I need to consdier getting a larger diameter soft foam handlebar grip to replace the soft compound grips I currently have? Do I need to adjust my handlebars or, maybe buy a different bend for road trips?

I recognize this type of use really isn't reasonable for the KLX-250S but, after having my car totaled (rear ended) I don't see myself buying a better road bike anytime soon.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

i just picked up a pair of those same bars, and the do vibrate a lot. before i had the msr steel bars and had no such problem, if you dont drop it a lot try that.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

might be that they are aluminum and thus vibrate more. not sure tbh. beins it's a dirt bike, you'll get a lot more direct vibration than you would a street bike since the bars are bolted directly to the fork with no damper whatsoever. you may be holding on tighter than you think and thus your fingers fall asleep. I'm sure someone will chime in here with a scientific methodology.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

i believe aluminum is less vibration prone than steel as steel is a lot less flexible so it will transfer vibes more... i had problems with pains in my wrists when i first got my bike.. i guess some people are just more prone to them due the stresses produced from riding a dirtbike. eventually over time the pain went away. i did put a set of renthals on the bike tho.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

get yourself a pro taper triple clamp with antivibration pads if it is that bad for you they really work

Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

try filling the handle bars will b b's or maybe some buck shot. There is a product out there called the "bar snake" but I'm not certain it'll fit mx bars the concept is the same though.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Your hands hurt for two reasons that are kind of the same reason just split into two different parts.

1. You put on a hell of a lot of miles for a dual sport bike. 300 miles in one day? Holy crap man. Your my hero.

2. Your not use to it. If you keep doing what you did, exactly the way you did it, the pain will fade. This is providing you don't have some sort of medical condition causing this, of course.
________
Marijuana card

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

"Why do my hands hurt? Bad handlebars?"
You're soft. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 11-02-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Usually get the same problem on my 636 for long trips at the same mph, then again my right wrist has some torn ligaments....anyway maybe try a cheap way first and fill the bars up with foam. The kind you buy for windows and door jams. Just shooting that out there, might work.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

7k rpmz is just around the powerband spot...

I get the same thing with that RPMz if over 25 minutes straight with my stock bar set up...
Im sure Im not the only one...But not just my hands go numb at times....lol

Rocco

Quick Reply: Why do my hands hurt? Bad handlebars?