Why do I want a snorkle at all?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Why do I want a snorkle at all?

I removed the snorkle on my 2010. I read about replacing it but why do I want one in there at all?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

If you ask me, you don't. You don't need a lid either.
But this is like the oil argument. Ask 20 people and you'll get 15 different answers.

Just do what works for you.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, apparently, you haven't considered doing underwater site-seeing and photography on your KLX. You'll certainly need one if you plan to enter this amazing field of underwater exploration.

I took the snorkle out. Have a 128 main jet, HMF Slipon, and mine would fade/stumble with the lid off. Now that I have a 331 kit, I'd like to take the top off again and see how it runs now. To me, it's "try it and see".

Oh, it is louder without a snorkle, in case that makes any difference to you. I think that's one of the better arguements for putting in the KDX200 snorkle...which I probably won't do...I don't mind the intake sound.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

If there is any difference at all, I would say its negligible. I run no snorkel, but I have my lid on because I didnt like the sound with it off. And I would agree with what cousinLarry said. My advice is try it without the snorkel, with and without the lid. Wont cost you a thing to try it. See what you think, and then if you aren't satisfied get the KDX snorkel.
dan

Old 12-11-2010, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I pulled my snorkle and didn't notice any more noise that way but I have a failrly loud pipe. I just haven't thought to run it with the lid off yet but I'll try it soon as it would be a free mod if it helped but I'm not pullin the carb off again just to jet for it so if I'm not on the rich side now I dought that I'll notice it. I've been wrong before.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

"Season to taste"

Its a PIA to pull the carb. Mine seems to have the most grunt with the KDX snorkel. Still messing with it.

Thinking ditch the CV carb. It feels like the slide hangs up.

David

Old 12-12-2010, 08:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Running a allmost stock '09 EFI i must say that pulling the snorkel did'nt seem to give me anything but intake noise. If there were any bettering in accelleration or torque i am most likely to write it off as a feeling. The added noise is most likely what make me feel that the bike got a trifle faster ;o)
What really helps on the EFI-models is removing the restriction - but i haven't tried to pull the snorkel since i did that mod.
I have a strong feeling that just pulling the snorkel wil create far too much turbulence in the intake hole of the airbox - thus actually reducing airspeed through the intake hole.
I suspect that you either have to replace the snorkel - or remove the lid to get a clean airflow into the filter as to me it sounds like the added noise is a result of a stand-wave in the intake/airbox.
And a stand-wave there could easily be a larger block than the original snorkel....there's not many free things in life ;o)

Old 12-12-2010, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I would have surmised that the EFI would be able to make adjustments for the change in airflow...but, of course, it depends upon the sophistication (or lack of it) of the sensors and computer. Also, I think there would be miniscule change by fooling around with the intake if the exhaust were left unchanged....that is where the main restriction lies.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Sound was my reason.... I like it with the snorkel.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Adjust the size or removing the snorkle is like baby steps to increasing power. Just gotta remember to also increase fuel ratio as well or you will be running lean. I personally like the KDX220 snorkle on the KLX. It gives it an increase of airflow while keeping the intake noise down, but still allows a nice deep rumble sound. But I also increased the main jet from the 118 to 124 for the increased airflow (128 if I had install an aftermarket pipe).

Quick Reply: Why do I want a snorkle at all?