Who's replaced the rear spring?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Who's replaced the rear spring?

Since the search function of this forum just doesn't work for more than 1 word...

Is there a guide anywhere for installing a new rear spring? I ordered some .44 front springs and a rear spring today from Moto-Pro suspension. I know there are a couple on doing the front springs but haven't seen anything on the rear.

John was pretty helpful and thought that maybe you need to remove the subframe to get the new rear spring on. Offered telephone help if I needed it and said the springs would arrive early next week since they would be going out today.

At 200 lbs the front springs are pretty soft, even at the fully seated damping setting. The rear spring is right at the borderline. I have compression damping set full seated on that as well. I used to have it backed out quite a bit, and the ride was super plush but not firm. The new rear spring should help solve that and still provide a far less jarring ride over bumps.

I finally got my 17" wheels on...holy crap this thing is FUN!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

bike on the stand left side panel off take out the bolt for the suspension link "the one closest to the rear tire" and move it down out of the way remove the upper shock bolt then the lower bolt reach in and grab the whole assembly while lifting the swing arm up with you other hand the whole thing will slide right out with a little twist and pull. This is the way I do it and it seems to be the easiest

Old 12-12-2008, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

That is how I would do it too, if I didn't already strip it all the way to the frame. LOL

Glad you like the wheels, lot's more fun on the street now, eh? What sprocket are you running with the 17's?

Old 12-12-2008, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Search Nobrakes posts, he did the front forks, not sure about the rear

Old 12-12-2008, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by novasteve
bike on the stand left side panel off take out the bolt for the suspension link "the one closest to the rear tire" and move it down out of the way remove the upper shock bolt then the lower bolt reach in and grab the whole assembly while lifting the swing arm up with you other hand the whole thing will slide right out with a little twist and pull. This is the way I do it and it seems to be the easiest
By "whole thing" you mean the spring? Sounds pretty easy in any case.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ddt1972
That is how I would do it too, if I didn't already strip it all the way to the frame. LOL

Glad you like the wheels, lot's more fun on the street now, eh? What sprocket are you running with the 17's?
Well believe it or not I ended up using the OEM rotors, front and back. Rear bolted right on no problem. The one you included should fit fine too. I even have that $10 Titax sitting here too.

Picked up the smaller front bolts the other night for $10. $2.50 a bolt! They weren't designed for the rotor, but it fit pretty good and I'm pretty confident that it is secure. Should I use some kind of threadlocker on the rotors/sprocket?

For now I did the stock 14/42 combo. I did lift the front end a couple times today. I'm still a new rider so it's a little scary for me. Basically have to rev it up and dump the clutch. I have a 39t rotor on the bench and I just got the 104 link chain today. It's pretty fun right now, but I really do need to highway cruise capability. Should do a lot better with the 14/39t setup as this is what the SF models has.

Last edited by je2000; 12-12-2008 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
By "whole thing" you mean the spring? Sounds pretty easy in any case.
The shock and spring as an assembly then you can put the shock with the spring on it in a vise so it doesn't spin "be careful with it though" and loosen the lock ring and the spanner nut the rest will be pretty self explanatory, when you put the new spring on the shock don't tighten it down too much probably only to the point where there is an inch of threads showing above the lock-ring "but don't tighten the lock-ring yet" then put it back on the bike and set your sag.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by novasteve
The shock and spring as an assembly then you can put the shock with the spring on it in a vise so it doesn't spin "be careful with it though" and loosen the lock ring and the spanner nut the rest will be pretty self explanatory, when you put the new spring on the shock don't tighten it down too much probably only to the point where there is an inch of threads showing above the lock-ring "but don't tighten the lock-ring yet" then put it back on the bike and set your sag.
Cool thanks!

I'm having trouble finding the fork springs photo tutorial...I think it was nobrakes. Anyone got a link?