Who's got & uses a GoPro???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got a hero 2 and i've got some epic footage... especially a lot of illegal urban riding through some of the shopping malls around here ;]. dont cheap out. get the hero 2, especially witht he better low-light quality. you wont regret getting a GoPro.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I film every ride. Dual sport rides and Hare scrambles. I enjoy re-living the rides, critiquing my riding, and catching the occasional crash

I had the original GoPro, upgraded to the GoProHD2 last fall. I loved the original and the new HD2 is even better. Be warned that the HD cameras need a lot of computer processor power to do any editing. I just watch the videos as i shot them for now.
Dan

home made mount

how did you make that mount?! it looks great.. mines jsut always been on my left side of my helmet.. which too looks good

Old 08-12-2012, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Originally Posted by bingomonkey21
I've got one, use it every few rides to put some videos together....the KLX in twenty years will just be a memory....some videos will be nice....
I hadn't thought about that aspect! Plus a lot of areas are being closed off every year by big government, state & federal. I am going to get a GoPro so at some point I can see where I was able to go when I still could. Thanks for your perspective.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I used to use my helmet cam a lot, but got a gopro a while back for its better resolution, but found the HD video files to be pretty unwieldy. I have a 3TB drive on order which should help in that department, but even so, I haven't hit upon the magic needed to actually generate good quality video from it. It's raw files look great, but once I load them into Final Cut Express, and export them to something I can upload, there seems to be a huge loss in quality.

I'd like to know what others are doing. What format are you exporting out of your video editing software to retain good quality?

Anyway, here's my latest video. This one is from Sunday's hare scramble - VCHSS Round 8 - Blue Ridge II. I was 5th out of 23 in my class at the end of the first lap, I ultimately dropped to 7th, or around top 30% in my class. I wish I knew how to make the quality better. Any ideas, I'm all ears.

The clip is kind of long, but includes the start and the entirety of the first lap, uncut and unedited.

And if the perspective looks funny, it's because the camera is mounted on my chest protector, not my helmet.

2012 VCHSS RD8 Blue Ridge II - Lap 1 on Vimeo

Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't think that's HD. Looks like you uploaded it in 360, not 720 or 1080. I wouldn't upload almost 40 minutes of video.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Haven't used mine on the KLX but I have on our RZR XP900.

http://

Last edited by MetalMan; 08-16-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Savage
I don't think that's HD. Looks like you uploaded it in 360, not 720 or 1080. I wouldn't upload almost 40 minutes of video.
I think you're right. I'm re-exporting it with different settings. Hopefully the size won't be so large it can't be uploaded.

Regarding the time, I would generally agree, but the folks over on the hare scramble board like seeing the full lap.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I got one (HD2) a few months ago, like it so far. What is a good program to edit the footage with?

Old 08-17-2012, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I have had the original GoPro HD for about 3 years and loved it so much that a bought the HD2 this spring to go with it. There is a noticeable difference in the quality of the two with the HD2 having a clearer and brighter picture.

The biggest complaint I have is that it takes a super computer to edit and produce videos because of the file sizes. I bought a Sony Vaio about 2 years ago, I7 quad core with a bunch of ram and it still takes forever to edit down a few hours of video into a 20 to 30 minute clip. I use Pinnacle Studio 14 but think there may be some better packages out there.

I usually record in 1280x960 dpi which gives a little more vertical viewing angle so you can get the handle bars and fender in the video. Typically I can get about 2+ hrs recording on a 16Gb card and a single battery. I set my watch and change battery and card every two hours when riding.

On one ride in Arizona by mistake I set the camera to take snap shot photos every few seconds. Ended up with a card full of several thousand pictures. I almost deleted all of them but didn't. Then I found how to do time lapse videos and made a 3 minute video that turned out kinda cool.

Here's a video I did earlier in the year trying out some different camera locations. Recorded in 1280x960, edited and uploaded to Vimeo as a 720HD file. Vimeo limits me to 500Mb per week so that means a full HD file will be about 10 to 15 minutes long. Hope this link works. Vimeo has changed the way they do things lately. If it doesn't work try going to "vimeo.com" and searching for Kmac250 to find my videos.

[IMG]<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/38472414" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/38472414">Beatin' on the 2 fiddy</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1253133">kmac250</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>[/IMG]

Old 08-17-2012, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member

The embed in the previous post didn't work so try these links:

Beatin' on the 2 fiddy
This video can be viewed in 720HD

Here's a link to a 30 minute video that had to be uploaded in non-HD format. The quality is significantly poorer.

Up The Rear of Crown King

and here is the time lapse video

A 3 minute ride through Bloody Basin

Quick Reply: Who's got & uses a GoPro???