who has a tire changer?--deej?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: who has a tire changer?--deej?

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

ORIGINAL: Dragone#19

I like the diameter of deej's platform. The 40 gal is too narrow/small and if you lean into it, spokes can get bent.
i was going to put some cement in the bottom with a post going up above the rim to secure the tire on it until i changed a few tires with the can as it is. it works great just the way i have it.
I've used everything from sitting on the ground, to a pair of saw horses, to a wheel barrel, to a 35 gallon trash can. Nothing worked as well as the MRP purpose built stand. To be honest, it's not normally something I would spring for because it is pretty expensive. However, seeing is believing and while I had seen it before on-line and decided it was cool but too much $$, I saw one in action at our NE ride last May in the Pine Barrens and I was sold on it after that. You can lock the tire down solidly in place or easily loosen it up to spin it. It has ready made place for the tire levers to be used to depress the rim lock(s). It's adjustable in height. The "feet" have grip tape on the top so you can hold it in place with your feet while you twist and turn and lever the tire. There's garden hose type material covering the support so spokes will not get scratched or dinged. And it is reasonably portable to take on a weekend trip.

Craig, after seeing all the rest on here, I think your 40 gallon can is the next best thing. Drag, unless you are beating your tires with sledge hammers, I can't see how you'd bend any spokes with that setup.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I just do not like sitting the spokes down on a hard edge is all. I made a set of 20" spoons and kinda lean into the whole ordeal. I prefer to use the lip of the rim and not the spokes.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for that Brian.it really isn't my idea though. i have this small shop over here by me and that's what they use. i used to get my tires there and they would mount them for $5. back then by the time i was done fighting a new tire the tube would be shredded and the dogwould be terrified of me for a week.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, Icpl, and my young son was learning different words as well.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Drag, I would definitely agree about the hard edge, but lcpl said he covered it with rubber tubing. That would make it similar to purpose-built stand I have.

Craig, if I could pay someone $5 to change tires, I would definitely do that! That's a steal right there. Even with a nice stand, I still come away with a few bloody knuckles. However, I've learned that if you insult the tire's mother it generally goes on easier. But it sounds like you already know that trick.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

i saw this one video about changing tires and i was in awe at how easily the guy changed the tire. even getting the first spoon to pop the tire was easy. since then changing a tire is no big deal and i haven't wrecked a tube since. i'd post the video if i had any idea where i saw it. sorry....

Old 02-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I know which one you're talking about, I think it was from Transworld MX. I think it was the Bridgestone rep that did the tires for the factory guys or something? Is that the one?

I found the article in their How-To tip section, but unfortunately, the clips no longer appear to be there. Bummer.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

yes that sounds about right.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

on 9/10/06 we were talking about changing tires and someone posted those videos. i followed the link to try and post the videos again but they're gone. deejsaid that he was going to saves those videos(there's 3 of them)to his computer. if he sees this thread maybe he'll repost them so that all the new guys can see what we're talking about.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Also, if you go to advrider and do a search for "neduro's tire changing" there is an excellent how to with pics and a good descriptive writeup.

Quick Reply: who has a tire changer?--deej?