Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice! What Are Those Made Out Of N.A.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:27 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
I rode 40 km a couple of weeks ago on a flat rear and one rimlock. Paid for itself that day. I was able to remove the tyre, fix the HD tube and finish the ride, another 200 km all up.

I've since covered another 1000 km without issue with the tyre ,tube ,or rimock. No vibration and tyre hooks up great.

Worth it just so you can ride with a flat and not destroy the tyre and tube.
I agree in fixing the flat when you get one right on the spot...and fixing the flat trailside will be easier without rim locks. When I was racing, the rim locks were worth the hassle, as I obviously didn't want to stop until the gas stop or finish line with a flat. I only carry the zip ties in case I get another flat and need to get back.

Like I said, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of running rim locks. For me, however, while fixing or replacing a tire in the shop with rim locks isn't too bad, I hate putzing with them when wrestling with a tire in the dirt on the side of the trail, in the dirt, with my smaller tire irons. I think perhaps some of this is coming down to how we use our bikes here. Most of the places I go require a bit of pavement to either hit the trailhead or get back to camp. In Colorado for example, when I'm riding around the Silverton/Ouray area, I might have to put 50 or more pavement miles to make loop connections in some cases. Running the low pressures that might be ideal for absolute traction performance off road aren't so ideal for pavement. I don't want to constantly air up and down for this. The slightly higher pressures also prevent pinch flats. If one is using their KLX in an almost all off road manner, then the lower pressures and required rim locks make more sense. Until I started getting away from enduro racing and going places to do more dual sport riding, I wouldn't have thought the higher pressures required without rim locks would have been very doable. I figured I would be bouncing around, constantly fighting for traction. Since I'm not constantly WFO with the throttle pinned like during a race, good throttle control goes a long way in keeping you hooked up...without having to go at a snail's pace.

Like I said, people who are totally pleased with using rim locks should use them. I'm just pointing that one can live without them in a dual sport application quite well without ripping out valve stems.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

No rim locks, I just run high pressure.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

deej, just out of curiosity, what pressures do you normally run? I run 22/25 in front/rear of my KLR650, but I've been running 21/23 on my KLX...solo riding only...running a 3.25 MT21 in front and a 100/100 Trak Master in rear. The tires get some amazing bite in the dirt even at these pressures, and I can cruise on the highway with no problem.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

There's no way in the world the KLX needs rimlocks. TNC is exactly right.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine needs them. I run 12\13 front\rear with Maxxis Maxcross tires. Works well here in the Pacific NW. I can even cruise at 70 on the freeway if I need to. A knobby with 20 lbs or so doesn't function as it was designed to when offroad. Just my opinion, this works for me. I don't even notice any balance issues due to the locks.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEWPARTSRULE
Mine needs them. I run 12\13 front\rear with Maxxis Maxcross tires. Works well here in the Pacific NW. I can even cruise at 70 on the freeway if I need to. A knobby with 20 lbs or so doesn't function as it was designed to when offroad. Just my opinion, this works for me. I don't even notice any balance issues due to the locks.
I agree. If you run those pressures, you need rim locks. Your situation about 70 mph with those pressures may be a point for discussion...such as how long at those speeds and outside temps while running at those speeds. Being that it's a KLX, long, sustained, highway speeds may not occur much for most people. I'd say that low pressures and sustained highway speeds aren't the best combination.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I run around 11-12 psi front and rear with extra HD tubes. Rim lock on the rear only.
Tried higher psi but off road, nup, I lose front feel.
I ran 14's for years as a sort of compromise between off/on road.
I'm tempted to run 8's but there are some sharp rocky tracks around here and, well, I haven't risked it. But some guys do run very lower pressures. 4 not out of the question.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an inkling ole sandy claws is gonna put a set of these unda me pillow on x-mas eve. A bit pricey, but guys up here in the NE swear they can run 4-6psi without any problems.

http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml

Color me in

Old 11-08-2009, 04:45 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member
Default Security token?

Anybody know what the heck a message with a "security token violation" is when you try to start a new post? I started a post to report on installing that Nuetech Tubliss setup on my KLX today, but I keep getting that message. Big waste of time.

I got the whole setup done without any real drama. Just need to go ride it now. It was a lot easier than I though it would be.

Attached Thumbnails Who has rim locks on their KLX?-img_0080.jpg   Who has rim locks on their KLX?-img_0083.jpg   Who has rim locks on their KLX?-img_0084.jpg   Who has rim locks on their KLX?-img_0085.jpg   Who has rim locks on their KLX?-img_0086.jpg  

Quick Reply: Who has rim locks on their KLX?