Who is good with the electrical system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like this is going to be a good time

I guess I should have researched the 09 electronics differences before jumping in to it. I was just antsy to get it going.

And I know I could have brought my original bottom end to a shop. I was trying to go for factory new bottom end to not have to worry about any leaks or crap put together incorrectly. Not to mention I really don't have any shops that I trust to work on motor internals. Most have 17yo kids working for minimum wage. I routinely end up in the middle of forests miles and miles away from any population, last thing I want is a drive gear popping off internally while I'm 30 miles deep in a forest. I know, probably a long shot, but I don't really trust anyone I don't know. hahaa

Last edited by CousinLarry; 03-11-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have the wiring diagrams for the two different bikes, you should be able to figure it out if you can read a schematic. I've been an electronic tech for 40 years and that's how I'd approach it.

There's good info in this thread, but it's only bits and pieces. If you have the wiring harness for both bikes and know how to solder, swapping a wrong connector for a right one is pretty basic once you identify and verify each wire/connection.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

The wiring diagram the '09 is in the manual which is linked in this thread:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=32247

Does anyone have a manual for the '07? Could you link it or scan/photograph the wiring diagrams for the US model. Let's get the CUZ going!!

Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Sounds like this is going to be a good time

I guess I should have researched the 09 electronics differences before jumping in to it. I was just antsy to get it going.

And I know I could have brought my original bottom end to a shop. I was trying to go for factory new bottom end to not have to worry about any leaks or crap put together incorrectly. Not to mention I really don't have any shops that I trust to work on motor internals. Most have 17yo kids working for minimum wage. I routinely end up in the middle of forests miles and miles away from any population, last thing I want is a drive gear popping off internally while I'm 30 miles deep in a forest. I know, probably a long shot, but I don't really trust anyone I don't know. hahaa
I hear ya. There's only one shop I know of around here that I would trust for that and they are 3 hours away. They have my KTM 200 right now, cases split. They are a race shop, though, and while a dealer also, they are racers first and tear engines down all the time for top GNCC and National Enduro guys, as well as weekenders like me. They had David Knight's and Nick Fahringer's bike in their shop when I dropped mine off - got photos of them on my phone, lol. I think my bike will be ok.

I'm sure other shops around could do the work just fine, but I would definitely not have the level of trust that I know it will be done right where it's at, like you said, I'd rather not take the gamble that it's going to be someone who's "learning" on my bike. Like going in for surgery, you don't want the 1st year resident, you want the 60 y/o doctor who could do it blind folded. lol

Good luck, and don't worry Cuz, you'll get it worked out.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm no real help either but it's a PIA not to have a shop you can trust. I'm very lucky as two of my best friends do this kind of stuff in their sleep, and one runs a shop. Good luck man as I saw this thread last night and got the diagram out and got crank position sensor and rectifier but I could be of no real help.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

If you haven't already you might start a new thread over at ADV in thumpers and see what turns up there also.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

CousinLarry, I got the bike turned around today and managed to follow the wires. I don't think it's bad a problem as it seemed at first. RayCour's post is a good one.

I believe the the following information to be correct but, to quote Neil Young: "I've been wrong before and I'll be there again."

RE your pic of the '09 harness: the left connector can be ignored (it's just three of the wires of the connector with six), the six wire connector can be ignored because you've now got the '07 generator which has the right connector to your rectifier. The small black three wire connector: white/yellow wire = ground (it changes to black/yellow when it exits the connector it plugs into); Light green (stays light green) = neutral (goes to diode interlock and instrument cluster); Green/white (stays green/white) = goes to igniter. Gotta love it (NOT) when wires change colors when they go through a conector block.

A question that remains is: what does the two wire connector in your pic of the '07 harness do?

Old 03-13-2011, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Just got REALLY confused

Took another look at the bike just now and am quite confused. Where the harness disappears into the case front left there are FOUR yellow and one green wire. Don't know what to make of that! That leaves one yellow and one green wire unaccounted for.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Is the 2-wire connector the crankshaft sensor?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Not according to the color coding. But if CousinLarry were to unwrap the harness of the '09 generator that he's not using we might learn more.

No word of a '07 wiring diagram yet.

Quick Reply: Who is good with the electrical system?