when and why would you need a O2 sensor Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

That would be a nice product for the KLX. I live in NY and I believe to pass the annual inspection the OBD port is hooked up to a state network to read any codes, so an aftermarket ECU might not be an option here. A flash tuner might get by. I don't think the piggy back tuner would matter so long as no codes are thrown. e.g. it does not impact closed loop operation and causes the ecm to throw a trouble code. Which should be easy to avoid from what I looked at so far.
The idea of tweaking the load resistor on the inlet air temp is interesting, but again not knowing what the control strategy is may give mixed results.
I don’t plan to go to crazy with the bike, a little more umph would be nice, but for what the bike is I like it so far.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nigel
That would be a nice product for the KLX. I live in NY and I believe to pass the annual inspection the OBD port is hooked up to a state network to read any codes, so an aftermarket ECU might not be an option here. A flash tuner might get by. I don't think the piggy back tuner would matter so long as no codes are thrown. e.g. it does not impact closed loop operation and causes the ecm to throw a trouble code. Which should be easy to avoid from what I looked at so far.
The idea of tweaking the load resistor on the inlet air temp is interesting, but again not knowing what the control strategy is may give mixed results.
I don’t plan to go to crazy with the bike, a little more umph would be nice, but for what the bike is I like it so far.
No problem....
You could simply unplug the aftermarket ECU and plug in your stock ECU for inspection, and then switch back after you pass.

I'll let you know how the thermistor works. I'm really curious to find out.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:57 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
No problem....
You could simply unplug the aftermarket ECU and plug in your stock ECU for inspection, and then switch back after you pass.

I'll let you know how the thermistor works. I'm really curious to find out.
I haven't heard of any sophisticated aftermarket ECU\modules at this point for the KLX, but it would be a great option if one is produced. On your suggestion of plugging in the OEM ECU for inspections, that is something my Rapid Bike EVO module for my Kawasaki street bike provides with an affordable adapter that stays plugged into the wiring harness to revert back to the OEM controls when needed or desired. It allows for direct, instant comparisons between the factory settings and the EVO settings and addresses the inspection process for those restrictive locations. All OEM ECU controlled systems are not identical, of course, as some can throw a code if one is unplugging and replugging any aftermarket ECU's or modules. The adapter in my EVO prevents any of those issues. I think the reason some manufacturers have introduced that issue of the ECU throwing a code when unplugging is to prevent tampering. I have no idea what manufacturers do this or are required to do this or on what model bikes this may happen. It appears they are getting more sophisticated in trying to prevent tampering every year. Simply unplugging some ECU's on some brand/model bikes may require a trip back to a dealer to clear codes or a reset. Like I said...getting sneaky.

Old 10-06-2021, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I haven't heard of any sophisticated aftermarket ECU\modules at this point for the KLX, but it would be a great option if one is produced. On your suggestion of plugging in the OEM ECU for inspections, that is something my Rapid Bike EVO module for my Kawasaki street bike provides with an affordable adapter that stays plugged into the wiring harness to revert back to the OEM controls when needed or desired. It allows for direct, instant comparisons between the factory settings and the EVO settings and addresses the inspection process for those restrictive locations. All OEM ECU controlled systems are not identical, of course, as some can throw a code if one is unplugging and replugging any aftermarket ECU's or modules. The adapter in my EVO prevents any of those issues. I think the reason some manufacturers have introduced that issue of the ECU throwing a code when unplugging is to prevent tampering. I have no idea what manufacturers do this or are required to do this or on what model bikes this may happen. It appears they are getting more sophisticated in trying to prevent tampering every year. Simply unplugging some ECU's on some brand/model bikes may require a trip back to a dealer to clear codes or a reset. Like I said...getting sneaky.
You're right. There are presently none.