Wheels for KLX

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Wheels for KLX

Alright, I'm loving the little 06 KLX250s I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I've been using it to commute to work (48 miles) and have gotten used to the stratospheric rpm range to get it going. Once I got used to letting it rev it started to feel like a real motorcycle and not a toy.

Anyhow, my only problem with the bike, other then the brick for a set, is the front wheel wobbling so much. Previous owner must have hit something or slammed it while getting air time b/c there is a definite bend in the wheel. It's very noticeable at all times and the front end bounces up and down quite a bit.

I called the local shop about truing and balancing the wheel but was told it is a lost art, nobody does truing anymore. Recommendation: get a new wheel.

Since almost all of my riding is on the streets I'm wondering what, if any, street bike wheels would fit this dirt bike. I would like to get a cheap set from Ebay or Craigslist and retrofit them on. 17" mags would be nice as I really wanted a Supermoto but could not afford one. Sumo wheels are way out of my price range so the used wheel market is my only choice.

Any ideas?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Just buy a new rim. If the spokes are good you won't need new ones. Bonus. Lace it together with plenty of WD4 on the nipples (hu hu). Easy job as the front has an even dish on both sides. Can you change a tyre? If so you can do this.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I can change a bicycle tire. Haven't tried a motorcycle tire yet and have been wanting to learn to lace one. I guess this is my opportunity.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep. Just price up the correct size rim. UPS in to your place. Then get to work. Just make sure ALL the spoke nipples are free and none are seized. If any are seized you may need a new spoke or two (with new nipples.)
Used to do so many MTB wheels back when I was mechanic at a local cycle shop. Even did some cool snowflake lacing back in the day. I don't recommend it for the KLX though.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 10-14-2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

wow, very cool lacing. So I'm checking different site for rims and finding they are not cheap. $180 - $240 for just a rim seems a bit high. I thought this would cost about 40 bucks. Oh well I need what I need.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Try these guys.
http://www.tremx.com/ProductDetails....2DRIMS%2DFRONT
US$112.95 sounds reasonable. Choice of black silver and "bling bling" gold.

They also do the OE Excels for US$99.95. Available in six colours.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 10-14-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added photo.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Or you could pick up a set of D-Tracker wheels used. They bolt right on. I am working on another set this week, will put them up for sale soon. Any color request? I can usually find blue or black, with the occasional gold.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

D-tracker wheels!!! Absolutely what I need. PM me on these when they become available.

Oh and as far as lacing my own rim, is it possible to get a 17" rim and use the existing hub? of course I'll need new spokes. Are there any other considerations when changing the rim size such as caliper placement?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

But are there any street bike wheels we can find used that would fit ?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

The stock setup works with D-Tracker wheels, no changes needed except the spokes. As for street wheels, there are several people here running alloys from other bikes. Will research it and let you know.

Quick Reply: Wheels for KLX