What's your gearing combination and chain length?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Nice trail and great start! Watched a few minutes.
There's over 100KM (60 miles) of trails that are built and maintained in this area. The trails in the video would be some of the intermediate trails.

There's a few interesting spots at the 10 minute and 13:30 marks.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

That looks like some pretty awesome trail. A lot like what we have around here. What kind of camera were you using? The quality of the video is excellent.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4vman1
That looks like some pretty awesome trail. A lot like what we have around here. What kind of camera were you using? The quality of the video is excellent.
I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black and a Hero 2 - this video was with the Hero 3. I usually have the Hero3 on my helmet and the 2 mounted somewhere on the bike, or more often, on my friend's helmet. For example, this one is the Hero2 mounted to the rear fender - really shaky and not really very usable, but an interesting perspective:
Or, an interesting 'comparative video' a clip of me riding, then my friend (on my son's KLX250s) riding the same trail, as a comparison of riding techniques: (start at 0:43 for me riding, then 2:05 for my friend riding the same trail - he's a very hyper person and it shows in his riding)

or 5:12 in this video (my friend going through a big puddle and over a log, and then 6:07 me going through the same puddle/log - it's amazing how the camera makes things look smaller/easier - that's about a 2' diameter log in a puddle, the video makes it look like a twig...)

Or a ride a few weeks ago when we had a cold snap and it was really icy in spots (4:20 where my friend decides to do it the hard way on a huge sheet of ice on a rock that slopes downhill)

I was recording at 1080P 30FPS. I can record 2.7K or 4K video with the Hero 3 Black, but 4K only at 15FPS, which isn't great for fast-action video. I'm using Microsoft's Movie Maker for the edits, and it's limited in output to 1080, so not much point recording in higher res than that for now.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's a few pics of the lighting setup on my bike and my son's bike.

On each, I have a fused hot and ground wires directly from the battery up to a switch (or on my bike, 2 switches, one for 2 LED's and one for the remaining 4) to the LED's.

On my son's bike, since I used the existing number plate, I took some rubber hose (fuel hose?) and cut it at a 45 degree angle, putting one half on the front and the other half on the back side, which effectively angles the LED, so they weren't just pointing up in the air (following the angle of the number plate)

On my bike, the 4 LED's in the middle are pointing straight ahead and the 2 on the sides are pointing out to the side more, to light up the sides a little more.

Attached Thumbnails What's your gearing combination and chain length?-100_5000.jpg   What's your gearing combination and chain length?-100_5001.jpg   What's your gearing combination and chain length?-100_5003.jpg   What's your gearing combination and chain length?-100_5005.jpg   What's your gearing combination and chain length?-100_5006.jpg  

Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thread HiJacked

Looks like this thread about sprockets and chains has been hijacked with videos and other stuff
Although this new information is useful to some it should be moved to a new thread

Hopefully the moderators will act on this

Old 12-18-2014, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
Looks like this thread about sprockets and chains has been hijacked with videos and other stuff
Although this new information is useful to some it should be moved to a new thread

Hopefully the moderators will act on this
Yes, good call, we've hijacked the thread pretty good - sorry - hopefully an admin can moved this last bunch of postings to a new thread...

Old 01-20-2015, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Update

Data in first post updated.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member

110 links with 15/47 works with snail at 5.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I recently geared from 13/42 to 13/47 and I LOVE it.
It's a 108-link chain and it fits well, can keep back wheel pretty close to front.

I don't ever get on highways or anything, so I don't need to worry about losing some top end. I can still cruise in the 50's without issue, but most of the time I'm just going 30-45 on the way to my nearby double and single-track dirt trails.

So here's why I love 13/47:
- Bike doesn't die in 1st gear with clutch all the way out. I can crawl at a slow pace without having to mess with clutch at all.
- If I want to, I can basically stay in 3rd gear the entire time I'm on the trails, and just use the friction zone of clutch when I'm going a bit slow. 2nd gear is useful at slow speeds or coming out of a sharp turn, but 3rd gear seems to be the sweet spot for the trail and speed I ride.
- I can actually feel front end getting lighter if I hit full throttle.
- Engine braking is stronger but not too strong to lurch me forward/back
- I think I may be able to figure out clutch wheelies in 2nd and 3rd (I'm new to motorcycles and have got some short wheelies so far, just need more practice).

Last edited by Zeno; 01-21-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Zeno

I have got to try that set up. would love to be able to crawl and use 3rd gear once in a while.
Do you have any chain guard, chain guide problems?

I may have to spend some money this weekend and get some new stuff!

I am 13 and stock in back, its just toooo high of gearing.

this topic is one of the best on the KLX forum

Last edited by fenderworks2; 01-22-2015 at 02:06 AM.

Quick Reply: What's your gearing combination and chain length?