What's wrong with me? I must be losing it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

youll be fine as long as you didnt rev it. the only thing that could be hert is the bearings and there probally fine, i have seen much worse than 15 seconds.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Reminds me of a time my girlfriends dad said he had done an oil change on her little Renault 5. I picked the car up from his place and went to collect her from uni. The car was fine on the 10 mile journey there but on the way home it started to make some high pitched sounds that got really bad by the time we pulled into her parents driveway. When questioned about the noise her father said all he did was change the oil but he didn't fit a new filter. He did say he was puzzled to "the very small amount of oil these modern French cars take, nothing like my old Morris Oxford!" I checked the engine oil dipstick, it was full. The dipstick for the gearbox was however, bone dry. DOH! He had drained the gearbox totally then topped up the engine with about 100ml of oil. We did 20 miles in the car with no oil in the gearbox! My girlfriends car went on to do another 100'000 miles without any further problems before she sold it.
By all accounts your bike should be fine.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej I also think your OK. Everytime you start your bike , for a few seconds, it's basically in the condition yours was in. It takes a few seconds for the oil to get pumped up and start lubing things. Your 15 sec dry run probablly had the same effect as maybe10? regular startups.
I have a story similar to Westoz's auto oil change story, without the happy ending, courtesy of my father in law. He was changing the oil in both his and his wifes cars. He had drained the wifes car and while he was under draining his car, his wife came out and told him she was running to the grocery store. Concentrating on what he was doing at the moment he said OK, see you later. She hopped in and took off for the store. Very shortly after she left he realized that he had let her leave with no oil in her cars engine. He ran in and called the grocery store, hoping she made it that far, to try and catch her before she headed home. Well she never even made it to the store, locked that engine up tight. It ended up being a very expensive oil change. It sounds like a stupid thing to let happen, but I can see how it might, when you are distracted.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

You put oil in your bike????

Old 12-08-2008, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Yesterday I went to change oil.........so I drained the oil ....... I started the bike............I remembered that I HAD JUST DRAINDED THE OIL!!!!!

Should I still even own a gun or be allowed to drive?

Probably not
________
Inner Ear Disorders Advice

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I would be nervous

I dunno, I guess I am in the minority here, but I would be real nervous about it.
15 second with no oil in these little motors is like a lifetime. I wont even pull the choke out on mine until after its cranked about 5+ seconds. I always figure I am moving oil throughout the motors, so that when it starts, there is oil in the internal passages and the pump is primed
. When a motor sits for several hours, the oil drains down into the sump, there is none "left" in the oil passages.
It would be one thing if you were just turning the motor over slowly, but for it to run for 15 seconds at 3000+ rpm's? Dry oil rings scoring cylinder walls, dry wrist pins, dry rod bearing, dry main bearings, dry clutch plates.

Not trying to kick ya Deej, an I aint' sayin its junk, but I would be a bit worried.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I called a mechanic today, in fact he's the one at the shop that did my original jetting and pipe work. I told him what I did, and he said that it was fine. Especially with running synthetic oil. That stuff stays everywhere for a long time. Hey remember those prolong commercials for thier synthetic oil? They would drain the oil and run the car for 30 minutes or some crazy amount of time and it was fine. So I'm not worried now.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej, do yourself a favor and open up the end of the spring a little. It will then fit tight in the motor, and no more worrying about putting some grease on it to hold it in place or laying the bike over on its side. I just wish I would have done it on the first oil change, it really does make life a little easier.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I've tried to do it a few times, but I was always afraid I was going to break the spring. Does anyone have good photos that show exactly how to do this?

Old 12-08-2008, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile

I don't think you would see the difference in a photo. Just take a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the one of the springand bend it out(sort of untwist it) untill it fits tight in the motor recess.

If your worried about breaking it, have the dealer order you one before your next oil change then you'll have a spare one on hand. The spring is probably only a couple of dollars. You probably spend more than that on the gas you spill on the floor

Quick Reply: What's wrong with me? I must be losing it!