Whats the story on Stainless Steel Packing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Whats the story on Stainless Steel Packing

So I was out on Big Guns site the other night and I noticed they are selling something called Stainless Steel Packing. They must be pretty proud of the stuff too because they want like 100 bucks for it. Whats the story behind this stuff. Does it elminate the need to ever repack the exhaust again if using it Or does it just extend the time between packings. Anybody use this / have used this / or know what the difference is between that and regular repacking material. Thanks....

LV

Old 09-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Whats the story on Stainless Steel Packing

i would assume it lasts longer,,, i cant seem to find it on thier site... but check this out its a whole new end cap... pretty sweet looking, has an outlet like the muzzy....

Old 09-27-2006, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i would assume it lasts longer,,, i cant seem to find it on thier site... but check this out its a whole new end cap... pretty sweet looking, has an outlet like the muzzy....

Hmmmm, Could of swore I saw the SS packing on BG's web site. I like that endcap Much better then the endcap of evo-x and thought about going with the muzzy just because of the end cap. I dont think that one will fit the evo-x exhaust system.

LV

Old 09-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i think it would, you would just have to unbolt the complete end of the muffler like you were gonna repack it... and just put that one on... but its $90....

Old 09-27-2006, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I would Confirm with BG that it would fit Before I bought it. I just rechecked there site. the SS packing is 60 bucks. below is a link to it.

http://www.biggunexhaust.com/product...roducts_id=614

LV

Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea id check too....but it looks like it would fit... and that packing is for the sport utility muffler... dont know what the difference would be... and i dont know what the benefit of stainless steel packing... sorry man

Old 09-27-2006, 08:43 PM

How often should we re-pack our exhausts? I have the Muzzy but I would think they are the same in that respect. I aslo like that end cap. Looks were a consideration when I bought the muzzy and their end cap looked more like a dirt bike should (to me).

Old 09-27-2006, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ginsu4u

How often should we re-pack our exhausts? I have the Muzzy but I would think they are the same in that respect. I aslo like that end cap. Looks were a consideration when I bought the muzzy and their end cap looked more like a dirt bike should (to me).

I've heard like every 15 hours But I wonder how much of that is because of the Need to repack the exhaust and how much of that is because the exhaust makers want to make money on repack kits.

LV

Old 09-27-2006, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's the line that I got from Kyle Morley (Big Gun Customer Management):

"... the stainless 40-PK03 packing is more durable and will last longer then the 40-PK00. You can use which ever one you want but I would recommend the stainless if you don’t want to repack your pipe as often."

He did not provide any indication how performance is affected. Also, Kyle works in Warranty/Rider support/Internet Sales, but that's no indication that the stainless packing will void your warrantee or not. (Given their mentality that says not using MOTHER'S MAG & ALUMINUM POLISH will void your warrantee, my guess is anything they don't like will void the warrantee!!!)

Mike

Old 06-21-2010, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

After reading some searches on the web, it seems steel wool may be too fine and catch fire if used as packing.

Now I was wondering if anyone has used this type of stainless steel pot scubber as packing material.
They're usually made of a 1/8" to 1/4" wide strip of stainless, this is surely too thick to catch fire. In theory, since the stainless material is thick, it cannot be packed as tightly as steel or fiberglass wool. So it should allow more air/sound into the packing and muffle sound more.

I just got a TwoBros aluminum can and was wondering if anyone has tried this material yet. It may be a year until I need to repack but maybe someone else wants to be the guinea pig.

Note: this is a bad idea for carbon cans as the heat transfer will melt or ignite the carbon epoxy.