What's going on my '09?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What's going on my '09?

the more I look at my BigGun, the more it reminds me of the fmf with its oval canister. the BG doesn't stick out as much, but I'm glad I got something different. I know FMF's are quality, it's just that I think they stick out too much on the KLX and attract too much attention away from the bike and to the exhaust can itself.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

do you still have the details on the 300 stock pipe? if it's still around pm me please. thanks

Old 05-09-2008, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't bother trying to shine it up, it will be a never ending battle. Just let that stainless turn a nice bronze.

This is mine at 1.5 years of good high rev use.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:35 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I know, but I at least want the thing to try and look nice before it bronzes. The pipe I'm getting looks more of a black than bronze. I'll clean it and then whatever happens happens. My heat shield will hide alot and the stocker is pretty dark anyways.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Well, the mailman came today and with him a Muzzy box. Long story short- the pipe arrived in as expected condition. I had it on in 10 mins. but, I had to remove my passenger footpeg to get it to go on. Ended up having to grind down the footpeg (did I just say I ground down my pass. footpeg and I installed a Muzzy on my bike in the same sentence?). It worked and now opens/closes just fine. I started it and it sounds just as I was expecting- like my BigGun did. I tried to ride it but it would not even go, it isn't getting enough gas. I could've choked it and rode it probably but it isn't worth the risk. The header really heated up quick so I know it's extremely lean as it sits.
Here's my somewhat of a dilemma- ronayers.com is always slow on their shipping and I don't even know if they have the parts I need. I know many have installed the dynojet kit/moose/fmf kits. Are these all the same kits because denniskirk can have me one by Monday if I order from them. Otherwise I'll either have to wait on ronayers to ship parts they may not even have. I doubt my dealer has the oem keihin parts but I will check. What's the equivalent to a 128 Keihin main in dyno #'s?
Do you think the dents would make the header pipe heat up quicker or do you just think it's lean?

I'll post some pics tonight.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Just lean... Dents ain't doin squat.
Just put in the biggest dynojet (132 main). It'll be fine. I'm at sea level though.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Just lean... Dents ain't doin squat.
Just put in the biggest dynojet (132 main). It'll be fine. I'm at sea level though.
good to hear you don't think the dents are affecting, nor do I but wanted someone else's opinion. I'm around 900ft. above sea level, so I don't think I'll need that big. I think I read somewhere that dj jets are larger than keihins of the same number, is that correct?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I think DJ has bigger hole size for a given jet number. Although some searching on google actually yielded some conflicting information...

On this chart DJ=bigger:
http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/61/96/

And then here I find the opposite...
http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.p...&hl=Keihin Jets

But for the most part I've seen DJ having a larger diameter hole.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow, how do I put this into words. Iowaguy, I'm going to try and give you a compliment, if I can muster it. You are setting your new bike up now with componetnts you used to say were crap - i.e., the Muzzy, the Dynojet jet kit. And you seem to be having fun doing it. Man, I can't believe you ground down your passenger foot peg! I must say, I'll give you credit for trying some new things and giving them a chance. I sure hope these parts work out for you and you are happy with the result.

I think ... man this is hard to say ... I think I might have ... mmm ... a bit more ... um ... respect for you now. [:@]

Ok, that was hard to say. Good luck to you!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Wow, how do I put this into words. Iowaguy, I'm going to try and give you a compliment, if I can muster it. You are setting your new bike up now with componetnts you used to say were crap - i.e., the Muzzy, the Dynojet jet kit. And you seem to be having fun doing it. Man, I can't believe you ground down your passenger foot peg! I must say, I'll give you credit for trying some new things and giving them a chance. I sure hope these parts work out for you and you are happy with the result.

I think ... man this is hard to say ... I think I might have ... mmm ... a bit more ... um ... respect for you now. [:@]

Ok, that was hard to say. Good luck to you!
tough to say huh? LOL, it's all good bud. Yeah, I was wanting to get some good deals on some parts and I'm having some luck in that. I also found some killer Ford rims w/tires in Virginia I just received yesterday for $400 shipped for my Fusion. That was a deal too.
So, now could you comment on the jets? My dealer doesn't have the parts so I will need something else. I am a little leary ordering a DJ kit off ebay as I've heard of some counterfeits going around. I emailed the seller to verify these were authentic but no reply yet. I can get his for $51 shipped, denniskirk.com will be around $67 or so for FMF/Moose. Anyone else bought a DJ kit off ebay w/o a hitch?
thanks for the kind words Brian.
TBH, I never thought the Muzzy was crap, just that I wasn't too up on how it looked. But I must say after seeing it in person, it looks pretty good. I like the factory muffler's metal wrap and the Muzzy is that finish all around so it's nice. Hopefully it will wake the bike up like the BG. The BG let me ride it w/o rejetting, the Muzzy for some reason just will not run the way it is in stock carb form. It must be rejetted if I'm to ride it again.[:'(]

Here's a shot of the muffler tonight.

setImgWidth();

I'm getting pretty good at this picture thing.

Quick Reply: What's going on my '09?