What's going on my '09?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:15 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default What's going on my '09?

Not sure if this will work, I'm experimenting with a new way of posting pics right in the message. Anyways, this will be in my possession by Saturday. Oh, I got it all for $100- not kidding. The header pipe has two dents in it, but I don't think they'll hurt plus they're on the inside and won't be seen when it is mounted. I think I can pop them out by filling the pipe with water and putting it in my freezer. It will freeze and pop them right out. What'cha think?

setImgWidth();

[align=center]
[/align]

Old 05-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: What's going on my '09?

Hmmmmmm that didn't work.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Holy wide picture batman! I didn't realize it would be that big. (that's what she said) LOL That's what I like about Photobucket, if its bigger than 600 X 800 it automatically re sizes it to that size. Come on man, you know you want a photobucket account, don't fight it.[8D] I have 1000 pictures on my account, sheesh no wonder it takes so long to load.[8D] So is that the thing we will have in common? WOW! It seems like just yesterday you were calling the Muzzy a trumpet or some such thing. What happen to the pipe you had on the 06? What was it again?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

You Will love it, LOUD and obnoxious excellent price BTW
And Dents....ppfftt who cares thats what I thought with mine hahaha
but I am a savage and treat a $526.00USD new one like it is stock LOL
at the end of the day it's all good.....and am slowly going deaf!
and by the way these bike are cool whellie bikes in first gear at 17km/h clucth it and pull the throttle to 5000rpm and let out...kinda trickey balance but worth it!! cause no one expects it.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine was $380.00 from the dealer, but $100.00 sounds like a great deal man. Oh and on the water idea and freezing, I really doubt you will get water to not leak out, or to get it to freeze in the right direction, it will probably freeze toward the ends and not build up enough pressure, but take some pictures and post a report just in case it does work.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09klx250t9f

You Will love it, LOUD and obnoxious excellent price BTW
And Dents....ppfftt who cares thats what I thought with mine hahaha
but I am a savage and treat a $526.00USD new one like it is stock LOL
at the end of the day it's all good.....and am slowly going deaf!
and by the way these bike are cool whellie bikes in first gear at 17km/h clucth it and pull the throttle to 5000rpm and let out...kinda trickey balance but worth it!! cause no one expects it.

Wait until you have 5000+ miles on the muzzy like I do, it will make you pipe sound like the stock one.[8D][8D][8D]

Old 05-08-2008, 04:44 AM

Try using one of the cans of air for cleaning computers. Shake it up to get it to spit out like Liquid Nitrogen and then you can try to let the dent popout. I have used this on a few cars before.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=miNykNl-0NM

Old 05-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Holy wide picture batman! I didn't realize it would be that big. (that's what she said) LOL That's what I like about Photobucket, if its bigger than 600 X 800 it automatically re sizes it to that size. Come on man, you know you want a photobucket account, don't fight it.[8D] I have 1000 pictures on my account, sheesh no wonder it takes so long to load.[8D] So is that the thing we will have in common? WOW! It seems like just yesterday you were calling the Muzzy a trumpet or some such thing. What happen to the pipe you had on the 06? What was it again?
yeah, sorry about that wideness. I just clicked on the link someone here provided for this host service and didn't know squat about it. I'll check out photobucket.
Here's the story, the header pipe is not the pipe that went to the muffler. Two friends had Muzzy's I'm told and the guy I bought this off of no longer needed the pipe and so he traded or lethis buddy have his still undented header for this dented one. I guess something fell on the pipe itself in his garage to cause the damage. Anyways, long story short.....can't pass up a deal when I see one. The BigGun went with my '06 when I sold it, stupid me. I loved that pipe but the oval thing gets old after a while. I still believe the Muzzy can looks more at home on a Ninja than a KLX, but hey, as Costanza would say, "what can you do?"
Main thing is it makes power, is loud as a ****, and.......makes power. Oh, it doesn't look too bad either. I plan to clean the SS header and get it to shine as much as possible and then welding bolts onto it for the stock heatshield (probably will need bent a smidge for the Muzzy header bend angle). I don't like the clamp mod as I don't like to see the clamps behind the shield. Three bolts and you're done if it's welded on. Am in the process of ordering my N1TC, 128 main, and all clips/washers and either a Uni or TwinAir filter. Damn, and I wanted to let this out of the bag with it ON my bike. [&o]

Old 05-08-2008, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Travis, Your physics is good but you may regret it. The expansion will blow the pipe apart. Put a can of coke in your freezer, come back tomorrow, thats what your pipe will do.

Get a wheel bearing cover out of a disc brake on a car, drill a hole in it, fit an old valve stem out of a tube,
place over header with some more inner tube and a serious hose clamp. The other end doesnt need a valve, cover the same.
Now the fun part, get your gas torch out and heat the dent till just glowing, and apply air at about 55-60lb to the valve, watch the dent, increase pressure beyond 60 at your risk, if it dont blow out then heat a little redder, dont blow it too fast or you willl end up with a bulge out. Use a fat brazing tip and centre the heat right where you want it to move, all best done with a friend. Use a powerful pump and not a compresssor, remember that just heating the pipe significantly expands the air within it.
Good Luck
Lee

Old 05-08-2008, 05:02 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

At least from that camera angle, the dent looks cosmetic to me. Otherwise, it looks to be in good shape, especially the can, it looks almost pristine. A little scotch-brite and some elbow grease should should take care of most of the head and mid pipe tarnish. You might even want to call up Muzzy and see what they recommend to restore an old header. It's stainless steel, but I wonder if they may be treated with something to get that bronze look that are characteristic of Muzzy headers after a few heat cycles.

I know that pipe is not your first choice, but for $100, you got a good deal!

Quick Reply: What's going on my '09?