What Is This? Where does belong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default What Is This? Where does belong?

While tracing the wiring to hopefully help CousinLarry I found this under the starter laying between an oil line and the block. No idea how long it's been there as I have never taken a close look in that spot. So: what is it and where is it supposed to be?

Edit: title missing an "it"

Attached Thumbnails What Is This? Where does belong?-what-0ne.jpg   What Is This? Where does belong?-what-three.jpg   What Is This? Where does belong?-what-two.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Ol', it looks a bit like the little press-on filter sock that goes over the fuel standpipe pickups in the gas tank, but how in the heck could it escape from there to get on top of your engine.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like the fuel filter that my 6R has inside the fuel line running into the carb bank.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:08 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
Looks like the fuel filter that my 6R has inside the fuel line running into the carb bank.
I've seen those on some bike setups, but it's always been on multicylinder/multicarb setups. Not at all saying there can't be one associated with a single carb setup, however. I'm not the first owner of my KLX, but mine doesn't have anything like that that I've seen. But heck...mine already had an Acerbis tank and carb mods, so anything could have happened.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I've seen those on some bike setups, but it's always been on multicylinder/multicarb setups. Not at all saying there can't be one associated with a single carb setup, however. I'm not the first owner of my KLX, but mine doesn't have anything like that that I've seen. But heck...mine already had an Acerbis tank and carb mods, so anything could have happened.
I've never seen anything like that on my KLX either, but it looks identical except for color to the filter in my Ninja.

Maybe it somehow got there at the dealership or even the Kawi plant and has just been along for the ride ??

Old 03-13-2011, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
what is it and where is it supposed to be?
i have one of those in the fuel inlet tube to the petcock on my 09...

Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Doc
1st Gear Member

Assuming you have a stock carburetor, it gets pushed into the black nipple that the fuel line attaches to.

Last edited by Doc; 03-14-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Doc
Assuming you have a stock carburator, it gets pushed into the black nipple that the fule line attaches to.
That would be it! It's back in it's home. I'm surprised it pulled out since it fits fairly snug. I didn't notice it popping out when I pulled the fuel tank off last fall to put the bike in the basement. Fuel tank lives in the lawnmower shed over winter.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I found same a few months on tank to carb fuel line. Couldn't find a speck caught in the mesh and was not really impressed with it as a "filter" (I call it a screen - it keeps flies and small rocks out) so replaced with a finer 90deg clear inline fuel filter placed low so I should see water collect there if it gets in the line.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 03-14-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Know what you mean, I have a real filter ready to install when the tank goes back on. Probably be close to June before the dirt around here is ready to ride, don't want to just ride blacktop. Still have snow in the forecast. Lows near freezing.

Quick Reply: What Is This? Where does belong?