What type (brand) of bar risers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What type (brand) of bar risers?

Just finished a four day dual sport ride on my '09 KLX250S and know now that I need risers. I would guess between 1" and 2"'s, but I haven't measured yet. My first "real" ride on the KLX and other than the bar height, I'm happy. I suppose what I'd like to hear is what size you use and where you bought them. The stock bars are fine for now. Not having to replace the cables would be a plus.

Thanks,

Old 09-21-2013, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a set I haven't put on yet I think tusk makes them. Even 1" might require a cable reroute as I know some guys had to get longer cables for taller bars alone. If your still using stock bars I'd go with a taller aftermarket set and not mess with risers as the first hard crash and you'll need new ones anyway and brands like protaper as less likely to bend on you. That being said you can also get offset risers and move your bars up and out or up and in.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I personally use the Zeta UX3 clamps. They add a little over an inch as a riser, but they have many many more options to choose from.

Other Zeta clamps/risers available.
- ZETA RACING -

Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for posting up the Zeta's Joel. I keep looking for bar risers, but am never sure they'll fit, now I know these will! I'm going to try the 19mm (which my bad math tells me is about 3/4"). That should allow a more relaxed height while sitting and standing.
And get rid of the ugly top clamp!

Old 09-21-2013, 04:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Another route that may even be less costly is to go to higher rise ATV bars. Same diameter, often the same pull back, but 1-4" higher rise. Available in steel for low buck, in aluminum for more. The higher rise often leaves more room to clamp stuff like GPS/cell phone holder, bark busters or small windshield. The risers don't do much for that kind of stuff.

Check out the ATV bars on an ATV find some that feel right consider the rise you may need, then get the bars that suit. Some even run the narrower high rise mini-MX bars.

Just another option.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

If you still have the stock bars might wanna upgrade to taller instead.

It's my opinion the pegs are slightly too forward making the bars too far back when standing. So a bar with less pullback, or a riser that moves the bars forward is a good thing.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Consider upgrading to a fat bar.I've dropped mine several times hard with no bent bars. I got cr high bend fat bar new on ebay for like $35, and fat bar 1" rise adapter for like $40. I would still like the bars a little taller, but that would mean longer cables.
marc

Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I use similar to this BikeMaster on KLX. Inexpensive and adjustable:
BikeMaster 7/8" Handlebar Risers - BikeBandit.com

and these pivoting type on the KLR:
roxspeedfx Pivoting Risers 2"x7/8"x7/8"

Old 09-22-2013, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks to all for your input so far. Some of the comments have me rethinking risers versus higher bars and I'll have to do some more research. I like the flexibility of the risers that IDRDR posted and the comment about the peg positioning from another poster, which I never considered. I just know when standing, I am too far forward and too "hunched over" to be comfortable and efficient. Fell on my *** in one fairly high speed graveled corner (on dirt) because I was too far forward with too much weight on the front wheel, causing it to wash out.

Any additional thoughts are appreciated. Pretty cool little bike all in all, IMO.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
It's my opinion the pegs are slightly too forward making the bars too far back when standing. So a bar with less pullback, or a riser that moves the bars forward is a good thing.
Ah, I thought it was because I was used to MTBs that the pegs felt too near to the bars (in a fore/aft sort of way).
I tried to roll the standard bars forward, but there's a limit to this due to cables - particularly the brake hose.

Quick Reply: What type (brand) of bar risers?