What slip-on/header is the best? Airbox free mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Isn't is an air screw on a two stroke and a fuel screw on a four stroke?

IG's bike has both?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
13-tooth will kill your road-ability. BigGun EvoX full is the bomb. I had one and it makes absurd power and sounds friggin sweet. No one has had documented problems with the BigGun EvoX for the KLX. they fit like a glove and look great. other pipes do not fit the bike well and look very large. the Muzzy is a good pipe as well but doesn't fit as well as the BG. check out motorcycleparts.biz, they sell the BigGun for $380- it's where I got mine.
there has been one pipe on this site that has documented the most power gains of any pipe for the KLX, and that is the BigGun EvoX with the Muzzy a very close second. btw, an FMF full powerjoke pipe will set you back nearly $600. just my opinion.
What's better, the Evo R or Evo X? motorcycle-superstore.com has the Evo R with header pipe (though it looks short) for $432

I estimate I'll be 75% road 25% dirt or wherever. I do not want to lose my road abilities! I'm looking into some street tires, possibly even some 17 inch wheels. I should've just gone with the Yamaha WR250X, but the sales guy was all aggressive and whatnot. It's cool I guess, there's a large community around this bike, and plenty of mods for it too.

Last edited by je2000; 07-30-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear Member

before u get a BG call them and verify that they are using stainless not steel for their pipes.. trust me on that one.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsac
before u get a BG call them and verify that they are using stainless not steel for their pipes.. trust me on that one.
I'm confused. Call who? And I'm asking if they are using stainless steel or what else?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:31 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
I'm confused. Call who? And I'm asking if they are using stainless steel or what else?

listen up HERE....do not worry about what they're using. their steel is ceramic coated and looks like new where SS will turn colors but will last longer than regular steel that is not ceramic coated. My BG ceramic coated header cleaned itself. My daughter rested her crocs on it one ride; nearly burnt through it and made a huge mess on the header. it burnt itself off on its own and looked like new after it was gone. I was amazed. BG is using SS on the EvoR, but the X, if you can still get them are ceramic coated steel. either one is okay but the R is louder than the X and offers no power gains over the X and the X is really loud. their fitment is oem quality though.

a/f screw is technically a fuel scew yes on a 4-stroke, but the term has been thrown around here as an a/f screw that if you change it up people will get confused.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

listen up HERE....do not worry about what they're using. their steel is ceramic coated and looks like new where SS will turn colors but will last longer than regular steel that is not ceramic coated.
i can provide pics of what the steel big guns look like after a couple of years if you would like, that mainly being ****

Old 07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

a/f screw is technically a fuel scew yes on a 4-stroke, but the term has been thrown around here as an a/f screw that if you change it up people will get confused.
Oh, well since we're perpetuating names for things that don't exist. My bike has a finibulator and it gives me an extra 50HP!

WooHoo!

Ig, when you say things like "Listen up HERE..." It comes off as arrogant and self important....just sayin. It's as if everyone else who has anything to contribute is useless. again, just sayin.

If you're fuel screw is out 2.5 turns, you may want to go up one on the pilot jet...just a suggestion...

Agreed the 13T will kill your cruising speed on the road, likewise a 14T with a 48 Rear will do the same. Unless you like riding in the 5-6K rpm range cruising at 50/55, leave your gearing alone....to whomever wanted to ride 75% road/25% dirt.

In my most humblest opinion, jet your carb right with any aftermarket exhaust and get a motion pro vortex throttle and see if that doesn't give you the response you're looking for.

The low end grunt probably isn't what you need if you're just trail riding and not enduro riding or hill climbing or spending a lot of time in deep sand/mud.

Just a thought...just messin' with ya IG.

Bob

Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I can tear apart a computer or a video camera and it'll work after I put it back together. I can even do IKEA furniture!

But seriously, I do have basic mechanical knowledge. But I hate it when there are really poor instructions for things. Then I get stuck. I've got those threads bookmarked but there is no way I can do this just from those threads and pictures. I'm thinking I should get the suspension set properly first before I do anything. Got any threads about setting suspension?
Try this for doing your fork springs. Moderately easy mod.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...t=fork+springs
Basic stuff like setting the Static SAG, fork compression/rebound/preload, can all be Googled or YouTubed.
Same goes for the shock compression/ rebound and preload.
It's fun finding the best setting for your type of riding.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by captaintrps
Oh, well since we're perpetuating names for things that don't exist. My bike has a finibulator and it gives me an extra 50HP!

WooHoo!

Ig, when you say things like "Listen up HERE..." It comes off as arrogant and self important....just sayin. It's as if everyone else who has anything to contribute is useless. again, just sayin.

If you're fuel screw is out 2.5 turns, you may want to go up one on the pilot jet...just a suggestion...

Agreed the 13T will kill your cruising speed on the road, likewise a 14T with a 48 Rear will do the same. Unless you like riding in the 5-6K rpm range cruising at 50/55, leave your gearing alone....to whomever wanted to ride 75% road/25% dirt.

In my most humblest opinion, jet your carb right with any aftermarket exhaust and get a motion pro vortex throttle and see if that doesn't give you the response you're looking for.

The low end grunt probably isn't what you need if you're just trail riding and not enduro riding or hill climbing or spending a lot of time in deep sand/mud.

Just a thought...just messin' with ya IG.

Bob
um, my fuel screw isn't out 2.5 turns, and I think the rule is 3 turns out and you need to go up in pilot jet size.

motion pro does nothing to the carb, just the throttle. it does not make anything respond faster. we've been over this. the carb throttle is still the same, responds at the same speed and isn't sped up over the stock throttle. it's all in how fast one can twist their wrist. for streetability, the motion pro would be harder to modulate since it's either all on or all off pretty much.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:23 PM

I agree. Just that I have no idea how to set the suspension properly for a 200lb rider, probably 210 with all gear on. The owner's manual isn't especially helpful. I should probably take it to the dealer and have them do it.
Here is a video that describes step by step how to properly setup the suspension on a KLX250.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5H4S0S...eature=related