what are the mods to the carb for a uni air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default what are the mods to the carb for a uni air filter?

Hi, I have the uni air filter at home and I plan to start my bike from winter storage on the 2th of april, I would like to have it install that week-end.

I was wondering if I would be better to order the DJ kit or the jet seperatly would be an easy and cheapest way.

Considering I have no other mods so far then a 13t sprocket and plan no exhaust for this summer or only a slip-on, and I ride at sea-level, here are my questions:

1.DJ kit or jets seperatly? Where to order seperate jets?
would it be good to follow exactly this? for the DJ kit ?http://hmfracing.com/forums/showthre...?t=1617&page=2

2. Wich jets I have to change to make it work with UNI air filter
3. Is a tough job, I am really not familiary with mechanic
4. Where would you order your parts?

Thanks and have a nice day, once again

Old 03-09-2010, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

How I would do it

All mods applied at the same time

1 -- Get the DJ Jet Kit (provides additional jets in case you travel to some location in the future where re-jetting is required)

2 -- De-restrict the airflow by removing the backfire screen in air box and install the new filter

Dunno where you're from, so I cannot say whether or not your carby needs the slide hole drilled or not. If you're from the states, do it. If you're from down under, I don;t think there is one to drill out. (dunno for certain)

3 -- Install header and slip on.

4 -- Do the sprocket replacement

These mods, all done simultaneously, will wake your bike up quite a bit.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you, I'm from canada, so i'm supposed to have the us spec model I guess.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

helpful stuff:
Name:  asppg_Fw873993791.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  CarbParts.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  27.3 KB

Old 03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default collar question

Hey EMS,

What is the function of the collar? When i jetted my bike last year it somehow got misplaced and not installed. I found it after i put the carb back on and the bike runs very well w/out it. should i put it back on and will it effect the jetting?

TIA

Klxelent

Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

The collar is just a spacer, it lets the needle sit in the main jet more or less... the thicker the collar the less fuel the needle lets out of the main jet, the thinner the collar the more fuel it lets out of the main jet. Im surprised it runs ok with out the collar...

another thing to help
Name:  CarbTuningjet2.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  27.5 KB

some good info
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_a_c...arbs_explained

1. Slide Spring
2. Slide Diaphragm
3. Vacuum Slide
4. Vacuum Port
5. Needle Jet
6. Main Air Jet
7. Main Jet
8. Slow Jet
9. Idle Mixture Adjustment Screw
10. Throttle Plate

See how the needle sits in the main jet? The depth of the needle controls how much fuel comes out.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
The collar is just a spacer, it lets the needle sit in the main jet more or less... the thicker the collar the less fuel the needle lets out of the main jet, the thinner the collar the more fuel it lets out of the main jet. Im surprised it runs ok with out the collar...
I don't think thats what the spacer is for. Changing the clip slot would change the needle's position in the main jet. I think the collar is to adjust the spring tension or the spring holder's height or to limit the slides max lift.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

With all due respect, those aren't the reasons for the collar.

The nylon spring seat was made to accommodate both the non-adjustable needles and the adjustable needles. The non-adjustables have a thicker built-in collar. The adjustables have no fixed collar, but use a much thinner e-clip. The separate collar is made to take up the space in the nylon spring seat when the adjustable needle is used.

Ron

Old 03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey back to the filter......I installed one last weekend, and I'm not sure I got the right one. It was really hard to get it around the plastic cage. And it had a double surface/lip that just seemed not right. I got it to fit, but anyone have a picture of the filter and or a part number? I'll look up the part number when I get home.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys,

I guess I'll put it on if nothing but for support of the needle. I have to take the carb off again to try the 128 main and the 38 pilot. I just took the carb off a few days ago but the nimrods at the dealer gave me jets for a KX and they don't work. I did take off the backfire screen and hope to make the bigger jets work. afterall more fuel & air = mo power.

Let's hope it is worth it

KLXelent

Quick Reply: what are the mods to the carb for a uni air filter?