what to mod next? yes another big bore question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default what to mod next? yes another big bore question

yet another big bore question

what i have
1999 klx250(aussie spec..apart from the head, thats usa spec and that another story)

mods
after market air filter
snokel removed
sump breather drilled
and i think the exhaust and carby have been moded as i they seam to be better that what every one makes them out to be...or its just the older model before they killed the engine.

i have already pulled the engine apart down to lower half, so instaling big **** kits wont be a prob.

what is the pros and cons of the big bore 300,331,340,351. i have heard bits a pieces but i would like to know the hole story. also, i cant find it anywhere but are the cylinders from bill blue chrome or cast finish (on the bore)

carby- would i have change my carby/re jet if i were to put a big bore kit it, if i would have to rejet, i would rather change the carby so i have to option to go back to stock for re sale or if the government to an interest to my bike. i had in mind mikuni tm33 from bill blue. does this come set up for my 99 and do i need to worry about mixture.i would rather stay with the stock as i have no probs with response from it.

finally (thank you for not falling asleep) exhaust, by now the money tree is getting thin, i have seen on ebay some slip-ons for 400 odd dollars, do i require a header as well with the big bore.

so in summary, i want more power

1) big bore, 300,331,340 or 351 what is the best
2) carby, do i need to change for the big bore
3) do i need a header as well

do i mod my bike or do i go to something like a drz-400e

thanks for your help, if you could include reasoning that would be wonderful

Old 05-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I rode a stock DRZ 400 last year and all I have to say is WOW!!! I could pull the front off the ground in the first 4 gears. I'm gonna shut up now before my bike reads this.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

yea, i know the drz has endless power, but i keep changing my mind on what i want to do, i can put 1000 to 1500 dollars in to the klx, and that would make it one sick ride or do i go out a spend 5500 to7000 on a drz.

the klx with the mods im looking at around 30rwhp and the 351 produces its touque at down low, the hp isnt true indication of its power (as hp is calculated of rpm x unit of torque) but the drz had 45rwhp (to my understanding)

10points to dj on the quick reply

Old 05-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

But to be honest, I could care less if my bike had 3 hp. For me its all about exploring and just being out there. Now having said that (Simon Cowell) I am perfectly happy with the Jetting, pipe and gear setup on my bike. And also I am keeping my bike forever.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you really like your bike and like to mod stuff? Or are you just interested in having more power to ride, bike doesn't really matter..?

Our KLX will not get to DRZ400 power levels. Unless you spend alot more than $1000. You'd need extensive head work (porting, polishing, bigger valves, different v.springs, new cam profile etc.) There are people who have stroked the engine to get displacement to over 360. Nice - but lots of machining $$$. Lots of work, and still not 45hp. So do you really want 40HP? Then you're better off getting a used DRZ. But with a few mods you can get close to 30hp which will totally transform the bike. A big bore kit will give you the displacement, new exhaust to let it breathe, and a pumper carb will give you a much more snappy feeling. You know all this.

The best thing to do would be to set up a test ride with someone in your area who has done the mods and has the bike running nicely. Test it out and then you can make the decision.

Myself, I can only have one motorcycle. I'm a Kawasaki guy. My buddies have 200's and 250's. I don't want anything physically bigger, and I need it to be street legal. The price was great. So the KLX it was. So now I have this bike, I like to mod things. Its only natural to go big bore, pumper carb, new exhaust etc.. I like modding and thats part of the enjoyment, personalizing my stuff. The KLX250 is a perfect fit for me, I'm not interested in anything other than a Kawi, so let the mods begin!!

keep us in the loop!
~Steve

Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

It also depends on what you are looking for, I use to own a DRZ400SM. I sold it because it was just too heavy for me. I know the KLX is close to the weight, but it is just more ergonomically sound for me. Again it comes down to money. If you are willing to drop 4-5k on a DRZ, why don't you save about 3k of that and turn you lighter weight KLX into the machine you want.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

well at this point i think i mod my klx, thanks for all thoses wrote, now...here what i plan to have done by the end of year

351 bill blue
mikuni tm33 bill blue
2 bros or muzzy slip on

just one more question, is the mikuni tm33 from bill blue plug and play/what is involved other than installation

ohh and a almost forgot, bmw cup holder, goldwing cd player, speakers, 100kg of useless metal. i think i got it all

Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
But to be honest, I could care less if my bike had 3 hp. For me its all about exploring and just being out there. Now having said that (Simon Cowell) I am perfectly happy with the Jetting, pipe and gear setup on my bike. And also I am keeping my bike forever.
never thought of it that way, but it does make it more fun to pass 450's on the straight

one thing i didnt mention, but insurance is about 400-500 dollars cheaper if u have a bike under 300cc's, and because my bike will have a 250 engine number i guess that's a big +

Old 05-14-2009, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

This is a loaded question.
What are you primarily going to use the bike for?
The KLX has it's place and it can be substantially improved.
A stock DRZ is always going to have the edge HP wise.
You can get closer but put aside at least $1500 Aus $$, more like $A2k in the end.
Then there is suspension.
The KLX is smaller and lighter which is why I bought it in the first place.
So if that's important to you, get modding the KLX.
If you are comfortable with the added size of the DRZ, I would trade up.
Or better still, think about something like a Kato.
Just sayin, not dissin the KLX.

If you do go down the mod route.
Big bore, exhaust, carb. In that order.
And if you intend to do all 3, get a full exhaust system.
The bike will enjoy the added flow.

BTW, over your way, talk to http://www.shocktreatment.com.au/contactus.html for suspension. Good people.
For eveything else, online out of the states is the way to go.
For example, I got a Big Gun full system landed here for less than half what the local stealership were asking.

Good luck with what ever way you go.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks neil, i would ask you to come on sunday for a ride, but i dont think you would make it here in time even if u left now. lol, i am big bloke about 6'3 and 85kgs. the klx is a little bit too small but with some high rise bars that should be solved.

one thing i love about the klx is that there isnt a hill that it cant climb, just if im still on it in another story. i love the tractor feature. im running 50/50 tires and it has endless traction. at the moment it's my transport as im 17 and still at school, in a couple of months im coming into some money and i plan to buy a hilux 4x4 and want to do something bike related.

so how much will i use the klx, probs more that the 4wd, i love riding. i would say the out of 1000k's i would do 700k's on road and 300k's in the bush.

but as you said, i think i will go big bore (351), exhaust slip on and get my brother in law to knock up a header out of some stainless steel and throw in the carby from bill blue.

is the carby from bill blue plug and play?

Quick Reply: what to mod next? yes another big bore question