What level of mods for roll on wheelies...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The KLX is the worst wheeling dual sport I have ever ridden. With the setup I have, it runs like a raped ape but still will not wheelie without clutching it. I had a XT225 that was significantly slower than my modded KLX but still wheelied much better. Just as an FYI, I'm average weight, about 188 lbs and maybe 200 lbs with gear.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FM_Thumper
The KLX is the worst wheeling dual sport I have ever ridden. With the setup I have, it runs like a raped ape but still will not wheelie without clutching it. I had a XT225 that was significantly slower than my modded KLX but still wheelied much better. Just as an FYI, I'm average weight, about 188 lbs and maybe 200 lbs with gear.
lol....thats true, but the funny part is thats the way I ride. 351 fcr, muzzy and ported head the F'er is fairly fast in the woods.....well actually faster than I can ride, most of the time....but I suck.

It just sucks that it is hard to loft the front over a log....you can do it, but sheet it should be easier.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet

It just sucks that it is hard to loft the front over a log....you can do it, but sheet it should be easier.
That's exactly it bro. I mean if I want to do that and I'm in 1st gear, it's not unreasonable to expect a dual sport to be able to do that with just a flick of the right wrist, correct? I mean with this bike, you have to plan it ahead and by then, you probably hit the log head on.

Also when you ride by the neighborhood kids and they motion you to loft the front wheel, you should be able to oblige instantly on a dual sport as well, no?

Like I said, with the mods I made, the bike runs like a scalded ape. It runs sooo good and fast as any 250cc 4 stroke thumper has the right to be. Yet it still can't wheelie without the clutch and some planning. I just don't get it.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FM_Thumper
I mean with this bike, you have to plan it ahead and by then, you probably hit the log head on.
roflmao....I have hit a couple logs head on HARD due to me not lofting the front when I wanted to ...... its funny I feel better lofting my adv than my klx even thou the klx weighs almost a 100 lbs less.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I moved my footpags back a couple inches and the bike wheelies a whole lot easier now, but it still won't do a roll-on. But give it a bump to launch off or a bounce of the forks and up she comes. I've done the usual mods and the bike's geared down, 13/47 but with a tall rear tire, and I live at 7000 ft so that takes away some oomph, or so I have read. Long and short is it probably make as much power as most other modded 250s - but no roll ons. Moving those pegs back though really helps. Link: (go to the end for the mod report) https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ght=relocating

Last edited by Guido; 06-29-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know, maybe I had a good one. First off mods, 300 jug, full muzzy, FCR35, no lid, 14/48 gearing, 175 in street clothes( and always full gear and camelbak while on it)

No it would not lift on roll ons(first was probably close, or would). I had no problem lofting over logs on the trail. 1st and 2nd would come right up with a crack of the throttle. 4th gear standups with a little bounce on the forks(no clutch) were also no problem. I usually only did these on the streets due to the speeds you were at in the woods at that point, but if the trail opened up to a straight away(how many of those are in the woods of the north east) they would happen there as well. If there was a small bump in the road to get a little lift it would also pull 5th gear with a bounce and no clutch.

Bottom line, I think its all about technique. If mine with only 292cc can do that, you guys running 351's either need to grow a set or your really getting ripped on the extra 59cc's that it offers.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

DRZ.... enough said. If you like to wheelie, and I do Your on the wrong bike.

My lightly modded DRZ is the easiest wheeling bike I have ever owned.

The KLX gets 1st gear wheelies at walking speed, and that's about it.

The DRZ with a 14t front will do 3rd gear wheelies all day long like it is it's JOB

Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

12t c/s sprocket
Shorten swingarm 25-30 mm.

350 kit definitely but you still have to tug on the bars or slip the clutch plus a pumper carbs instant response helps.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Husaberg 570

Old 07-02-2010, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bsj425
I can do them on mine in 2nd gear and it is all stock... well it has the free mods and i have my airbox lid off and drilled the stock exhuast until my parts get here this week. I do think my whopping 143 pounds has alot to do with it however.
not possible! haha i have every mod except big bore! my bike runs excellent! i weigh 135 and theres no way in hell i can do a roll on wheelie in 2nd. whats the definiton of a roll on whellie?

my definition is cruising along and u snap the throttle hard and the front end comes up.. is that right? i have to hit a bump with the front wheel and lean back hard to get a wheelie out of her.

the only way i can do a wheelie in second is using alot of throttle and clutch. the longest wheelie ive done is pulling it up in second shifting into 3rd and reved 3rd out i think it was 60 mph or so.

Quick Reply: What level of mods for roll on wheelies...