What level of mods for roll on wheelies...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally
Default What level of mods for roll on wheelies...

Okay basic question... without using gearing to cheat the system (beyond doing a standard switch to a 13t front sprocket) what level of mods were you guys at before you achieved meaningful roll on wheelies with your KLX 250 or did you w/o the big bore kits at all. ... and if you're not shy, what do you weigh... I'm 250... that's one cc/lb for us math whizzes

Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I can do them on mine in 2nd gear and it is all stock... well it has the free mods and i have my airbox lid off and drilled the stock exhuast until my parts get here this week. I do think my whopping 143 pounds has alot to do with it however.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Roll on wheelies, never can achieve that. That is with a opened up intake and re-jetting. Thou I have nearly flipped it backwards when taking off. Too much throttle and too fast on the clutch. Front wheel went straight for the sky. Luckly, my legs are long and strong enough to catch the KLX before she completed the 180* back flip.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you try the Yut Ughhhhh method?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Originally Posted by bsj425
Did you try the Yut Ughhhhh method?
Pray tell... what is this. Sounds.. well weird frankly, but now i have not know!

And I know I can induce a wheelie using revs and clutch, or by loading the front shock and tugging and such, and I'm sure having the suspension set for my weight would help (soft springs just like to squat under load) but over-all I'm curious when you get to wheelie inducing torque on the mod scale. I feel like I'm close now but it's hard for me to gauge.

My other bike is a KTM LC4 640. It rolls on wheelies on demand, just twist and lift at any point in the rpms in first gear and up she goes. I don't expect the same corvette like acceleration but lofting the front wheel without abusing the clutch or putting in extra effort is something I look forward to. If I have to, I'll wait for the 351 kit I smell next season.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

For a true roll on wheelie it took a big bore and an un-tuned pumper carb, I'm 155 lbs. With just the big bore I could load the springs or clutch it up in 1st or 2nd gear. 3rd gear is to much. I do have bigger tires than stock 110/100-18 TK 2 and a 130/80-18 street tire, so it's geared a tad higher.

One thing to do is shorten your chain moving the rear wheel forward more. It probably won't help a lot but if you keep adding penny mods it helps.

Last edited by GreenMonsta; 06-29-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bakxIoeFLPc

Video has been around for a while now but I still laugh everytime I watch it. Basically this dude put a ad on craigslist charging people to "teach" them how to do stunts. SO these professionals go and call him out on it.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 PM
1st Gear Member

big
bore

Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I think it's a lot of technique. After some practice and getting some clues from this video it is easy for me but I am 170 lbs. Mind you I can't do it at higher speeds but I can get over logs etc. Watch the video and it might help. I've also included a link to a previous thread on wheelies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHelg...ext=1&index=21

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=29738

Old 06-28-2010, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jacksonriding7
My other bike is a KTM LC4 640. It rolls on wheelies on demand, just twist and lift at any point in the rpms in first gear and up she goes.
Just a fyi, even with the 351 kit the klx will not roll on wheeelies like a lc4 or even a heavy Adventure which I own ..... there is a reason that my modded adv thumper makes my cheeks hurt from grinning...just sayin.

Quick Reply: What level of mods for roll on wheelies...